do I grease my silicone molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolincanada

Reaction score
I'm using some silicone molds(cupcake) for the first time. Should I coat them with oil before I add the soap or do they come out easily without greasing. Thanks, Carolyn

no you don't need to grease them, but be aware that because they are individual molds they probably won't gel and so might need a lot of extra time in the mold. as in days.

Yep, what Carebear said. I've used all different sorts of silicone and they always release so well on their own. I would agree that you should wait to unmold if the soap doesn't gel. I find that at least 48 hours is best.

That's good to know because I just found one and it's hearts. I paid about .25 for it at the thrift store. I didn't know you didn't have to grease it.

what makes silicone special is that it is flexible and doesn't stick to anything except silicone. now all bets are off if your soap is still soft, but once it's hardened up you can just pull the silicone mold away from the soap along the sides, turn it over, and pop it out.

Latest posts

Back