de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was following this thread religiously but fell off the wagon for a while so I need to catch up, but I have been using Native deodorant for several months now and I really like it, it's the first "natural" deodorant that has worked for me. I in no way benefit from sharing, just thought I'd throw it out there for an alternative.

https://www.nativecos.com/product/deodorant-women/

I know it's only deodorant but usually when we are making things and we add water to them, we need to worry about a preservative. I don't know.... what do you think?

It's quite possible, and I wouldn't discount it. My thought was with the high magnesium salt content, it might be hostile to bacteria. But I'll admit straight up that I'm far from an expert in these areas. I suppose I could always add some rubbing alcohol or something. :)

I was following this thread religiously but fell off the wagon for a while so I need to catch up, but I have been using Native deodorant for several months now and I really like it, it's the first "natural" deodorant that has worked for me. I in no way benefit from sharing, just thought I'd throw it out there for an alternative.

I have a friend who loves Native Deodorant, particularly the coconut fragrance one. I think the challenge with Native might be for people who react to the baking soda. The addition of acidophilus is interesting though.

They have new baking soda free ones now, I alternate between the bs and not to keep the redness down.

Huh, interesting. Milk of Magnesia is an ingredient in the non-baking soda mix..

"Caprylic/capric triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil), arrowroot powder, stearyl alcohol, magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia), shea butter, coconut oil, hydrogenated castor oil, polyglycerol-3 beeswax (cera bellina wax), jojoba esters, tocopherol (Vitamin E), L. acidophilus, dextrose, glyceryl caprylate, glyceryl undecylenate."

not only preservative but also emulsifier to emulsify the oils, Shaking does not mix oil with water. Adding RA will dry the skin and may irritate

48 babassu, 10% beeswax, 40% MH seems to absorb fast, and it is not leaving grease on skin, no grease on tube either :)

Dahlia, I am curious about your formula. How much babassu? 48% or is it 50%? If it's 48%, what is the last 2% in your formula?

What temperature range has your deodorant stick been exposed to? I see that it would stay solid at much warmer temps than mine does (without the beeswax). I suppose I'd still not leave it inside a hot car for extended periods, but it looks like it would fare far better than mine did on my last trip.

Upon further thought, it occurs to me that even lipstick and lip balms and 100% coco butter melts inside my hot car, so why would I think deodorant sticks would stay solid? Duh! I just shouldn't leave them inside my hot car, right? I don't anymore, I pack them in the cooler with my food (in a plastic baggie, of course, for sanitary purposes.)

40% Magnesium hydroxide , 48 Babassu, 10 Beeswax there is also 1% of essential oils and VE ( 0.2%). :) what about using Kokum butter instead of Babassu, it is very effective. I keep 20 C in house winter or summer always the same temps, I would not leave anything in car on summer, Even water is boiling in it

not only preservative but also emulsifier to emulsify the oils, Shaking does not mix oil with water. Adding RA will dry the skin and may irritate

RA? Can you translate what you mean by that, Dahlia? I'm confused.

Thanks for sharing Jules. I looked at the ingredients. Too many of them and way too much coconut. The idea behind this thread was to get away from coconut as the basis for the home made (or natural) deodorant. All of the home made (and "natural" commercial) deodorants are made with coconut oil as a base and other ingredients added. I stink; no way around that. When doing the research, I found out babassu had some benefits to it that coconut does not, which is why I experimented with it. It turns out babassu oil makes a better deodorant than coconut oil does. It has antibacterial properties that coconut oil doesn't have and it is not nearly as greasy. I'm glad you found a commercially available natural product that works for you.

Thanks for sharing Jules. I looked at the ingredients. Too many of them and way too much coconut. The idea behind this thread was to get away from coconut as the basis for the home made (or natural) deodorant. All of the home made (and "natural" commercial) deodorants are made with coconut oil as a base and other ingredients added. I stink; no way around that. When doing the research, I found out babassu had some benefits to it that coconut does not, which is why I experimented with it. It turns out babassu oil makes a better deodorant than coconut oil does. It has antibacterial properties that coconut oil doesn't have and it is not nearly as greasy. I'm glad you found a commercially available natural product that works for you.

Well I like where your headed with this, I want to make my own but have been happy I have something in the meantime that isn't chock full of bad stuff. I'm still working through this thread so I can learn more about it.

40% Magnesium hydroxide , 48 Babassu, 10 Beeswax there is also 1% of essential oils and VE ( 0.2%). what about using Kokum butter instead of Babassu, it is very effective. I keep 20 C in house winter or summer always the same temps, I would not leave anything in car on summer, Even water is boiling in it

I don't leave things in the car in the summer indefinitely, but I take lots of roadtrips and when I stop for a meal, etc. things have to stay in the locked car, so they get hot. So for me stuff melting in my car is a very real concern. Although I've never had water boil inside my car. That's a little scary! (I need a smiley with sweat dripping off it's face!) Looking for one that fits...
4180.gif
desertsmile.gif
6865.gif

I went to Walmart and bought a 97¢ tube of deodorant to get the tube. (whew the perfume in that Suave deo was WAY too strong!!) The tube said the net wt was 1.4 oz, so I made up a 45% babassu, 45% mag h, and 10% beeswax mix for that weight. But the finished amount did not look like enough to fill the tube, so I made up another batch. Then, since I could not bring myself to waste ANYTHING, I added in the bit of left over bab/mag I had in my bathroom (which had been mixed by sight not weight), and some leftover melted beeswax. I had no idea what the amounts of any of that were. So it's an extremely unscientific mixture. But I poured it in the tube, put it in the fridge to harden quickly, then put it in the bathroom. I tried it this morning and I really have way too much beeswax in there. It felt like I had rubbed a candle on my armpits and I think if I use it as is it will clog my pores and make pimples. So I'm going to remelt everything and double the amounts of bab/mag that I previously put in and try that. Plus this will give me a chance to add EO for scent, which I meant to do and forgot. All the leftovers can stay in the melting cup until I need to refill the tube so no waste. :) But it sure is nice to have it in a tube!!

IMG_2190.JPG

I'm not sure about a preservative for MOM but for my magnesium oil, I was told by a lady when I called a supplier that benzyl alcohol is used for preserving magnesium in the little tubes for using in the hospital so I ordered some and am going to use that at 1%.

Benzyl alcohol appears to not be effective for alkaline products -- commercially formulated preservatives I looked at that contain this chemical are only effective in acidic conditions (pH of 5 to 5.5). And it's not a broad spectrum preservative either -- it needs to be combined with other preservatives to be fully effective. So I question whether it's a good choice for preserving milk of magnesia.

Neither of the preservatives I know of that can tolerate high pH -- Suttocide and liquid Germall Plus -- are really suitable for a mix of mag hydroxide + babassu + optional beeswax. The preservatives are water soluble and the deo mix is not.

More info: http://www.makingskincare.com/preservatives/

Has anyone played around with adding a small percentage of other anti-bacterial oils? I have some Neem that might work nicely. If used in a small percentage and covered with a dash of FO, it might not smell too terrible.

Other options could be: avocado oil, passionfruit oil, pomegranate seed oil, praxaci seed oil.

Last edited:
I'm rereading this thread with a specific eye towards neem oil. In the 80's of post numbers (page 9) need was brought up but immediately nixed due to scent.

I've been wanting to make a lotion using babassu and MOM but don't have the patience/cash to place a full order. I can get neem easily in town and wasn't offended the last time I smelled it.

Has anyone actually used neem and can give us a review? I have to flip my sleep schedule tomorrow and was figuring on filling time with quick lotion making.

(Toxikon, I'm referring specifically to posts 80-86 right now. I still need to finish rereading the thread and double checking all the links from this thread and mzimm's original thread. I don't know if you'll be able to glean something that I'm missing. Best I've got is that it's over powering at less that 10%)

I'm glad I replied then or I wouldn't have known! I wonder what the ph is of just magnesium flakes/water oil? I have to order a meter so I can check it because I don't know. What preservative would you suggest for a simple mag oil or the cream please Deanna? What in the world am I going to do with all this Benzyl alcohol lol?

Latest posts

Back