Shower Lotion Bar Tests and recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for helping me feel better about the contents of my soapy cabinets, because often I am.... 🤔??

😁
Me too! Or three :)

@Mobjack Bay, it seem like the link you included recommends a polysorbate if you're going the preservative+emulsifier/solubilizer route.
("Should you choose the approach where a water-soluble preservative and emulsifier is added the most obvious choice for the emulsifier would be a polysorbate, although others exist.")

But after you flagged the increased wash-off effect from emulsifiers above, it makes me wonder if I'd just rather look into one of the anhydrous-friendly preservatives (or combos) that you mentioned above. The reason I liked this bar better than the emulsified bars was that it retained so much more of the butter combo on my skin.

Although I think the emulsified bars added more emulsifier than we would need just to make the preservative miscible. I'm assuming that since preservatives range from .5-1.5% MUR that it wouldn't take much PS80? Hopefully that wouldn't effect increase the butter rinse-off effect much.

ETA: was looking at the difference between PS 20 and 80 in this context, still not sure because I got sidetracked by references to them being potentially adverse to the anti-bacterial effects of parabens (not sure about on other preservatives). This is why ignorance is bliss sometimes! Until you get knarly stuff growing in your B&B stuff, at least.

@dmcgee5034, like MJB am really curious about the differences when you use the new bar.

Last edited:
But after you flagged the increased wash-off effect from emulsifiers above, it makes me wonder if I'd just rather look into one of the anhydrous-friendly preservatives (or combos) that you mentioned above. The reason I liked this bar better than the emulsified bars was that it retained so much more of the butter combo on my skin.
That seems like the best option to me. Minimizing the food quality of the exfoliants will also help. I'm going to give rice husks and/or rice bran a try.

@dmcgee5034 - I look forward to hearing how/if the beeswax affects the bar.

Has anyone used Euxyl PE 9010? or Jeecide Cap-7? (both available from LotionCrafter).
I have been using Euxyl PE 910 for about 3 yrs now. It's extremely versatile, can withstand temps that most preservatives cannot handle as well as high ph levels. I love it and wouldn't use anything else at this point.

I have been using Euxyl PE 910 for about 3 yrs now. It's extremely versatile, can withstand temps that most preservatives cannot handle as well as high ph levels. I love it and wouldn't use anything else at this point.
Thanks, @Mobjack Bay and @Kcryss . Now in my LC shopping cart.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back