de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
honey detox... Hmm.. in my insomniac state I don't even remember anything about a honey detox.

I do like honey though.

There were 1 or 2 other threads going when this one started, so it might have been in one of those. I wish I could remember who said it, so I can give them credit.....

Slather some honey in your pits and let it sit for 30+ minutes then wash it off. The antibacterial of the honey will kill most of the gross stuff (I think DeeAnna had the science of why) and in the end you'll smell a better. Also remember to use real honey, they get the cheap/fake stuff at work and it worries me.

Though there might be a period where it is important to slowly introduce the magnesium, in order to avoid camping out in the bathroom while getting adjusted.

How you take the magnesium and how much effects what it does. There are general magnesium supplements that do nothing in your guts but still give magnesium benefits to the rest of your body. Toptical magnesium starts the benefits where you apply it then soaks in from there. Unless you rub magnesium on your stomach there should be no rushing to the bathroom.

Put this way, it makes a lot of sense why Milk of Magnesia would be a bad idea in this particular recipe. I'll keep it around as a dust magnet until I find further use - or until I have further reason for opioid painkillers (hopefully no time soon! Knock on wood..)

Thank you, DeeAnna!

Perhaps the MOM would work in a roller ball type applicator. You'd have to shake before use, of course because MOM does separate in the bottle.

Slather some honey in your pits and let it sit for 30+ minutes then wash it off. The antibacterial of the honey will kill most of the gross stuff (I think DeeAnna had the science of why) and in the end you'll smell a better. Also remember to use real honey, they get the cheap/fake stuff at work and it worries me.

My boyfriend is going to start worrying about my sanity. I'm going to have to start referring to him as "DB" short for "Daring Boyfriend". I don't think he realized how enthusiastic I can get about this kind of thing.

That aside, I don't think the honey was this thread, because I believe Theresa started it after doing a Kaolin or bentonite thing. I have a bunch of honey, and it's cheaper than getting yet another mad potion brewing!

How you take the magnesium and how much effects what it does. There are general magnesium supplements that do nothing in your guts but still give magnesium benefits to the rest of your body. Toptical magnesium starts the benefits where you apply it then soaks in from there. Unless you rub magnesium on your stomach there should be no rushing to the bathroom.

Yeah, I am going to be the first to admit I don't really know how this ends up working. While looking into magnesia, and Epsom salts I found out that apparently "magnesium oil" is the new "magic cure" that coconut oil has been up until now given special honors for. But I noticed in some pages people talked about having to camp out in the bathroom, and did they need to adjust the recipe for their homemade magnesium oil. I don't think any of the comments spelled out where they'd been applying it though.

I did find it amusing that whether or not the stuff cures migraines, it can help you poop but keep you from stinking! :lol:

Perhaps the MOM would work in a roller ball type applicator. You'd have to shake before use, of course because MOM does separate in the bottle.

I'll probably attempt my Epsom salts in a spray bottle first. After daring my MoM I couldn't handle the sticky feeling of the flavored version. And smelling like cherry mint sweat wasn't pretty.

Luckily I didn't have to go out in public too early today.

I want to name my deo and hate to steal Teresa name it would be not ethical, Irishlass is the best with names, Can I get help with it, It is about de funk the pits :)
I have different deos too ;)

Random thing I learned while looking into this: magnesium sulfate is in Epsom salt and Milk of Magnesia. Magnesium chloride is the supplement people take when they're low on magnesium because it stays in the body longer. Assuming that one doesn't have medical conditions where they should avoid extra magnesium, magnesium chloride might be absorbed nicely through the skin and used as both a supplement and a de-funkifier in combination with Babassu.

Though there might be a period where it is important to slowly introduce the magnesium, in order to avoid camping out in the bathroom while getting adjusted. :think:

Treating pit stank, slow digestion, and arthritis since 2017...

Weaver - Magnesium is only absorbed at the rate your body needs it. :)

You can see in the first how gunked up the screw tubes get, so I wouldn't be using that type of container again. The only benefit I can see for that is a travel product. If you fly a lot, that would be ideal for your deodorant and any other type of solid lotion because the cap wouldn't come off under the pressure of the plane's cargo hold. That's happened to me, so I usually carry that stuff in my overnight bag. The container is small enough to be in the overnight bag, so I'm not sure if there would be any benefit to that. S&K might have larger sized deodorant containers with the screw on lids; but that's not something I would want for the gunking up reason. Then again, there may be people that actually wipe their containers off. I'm not that neat or conscientious about things.

Aside from the time the deodorant melted in my HOT car trunk, I have not had any messy experience with the screw-top applicators.

I don't get that 'gunking up' effect when I use the applicators with the screw-on lid. I don't wipe them either. What I do is advance the stick up only a tiny bit before use, and detract it back down into the tube after each use. But I've always done that when I used store-bought deodorants, so it's a habit I already had. Still, I think it's an easy enough habit to develop. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though, since developing habits can be a very personal thing.

The reason for advancing only a tiny bit before each use is so I don't apply more than needed. The reason for detracting back into the tube afterward, has always been because when I don't, that's when I put the cap back on a little wonky and mess up/waste product by nicking it or getting it on the outside of the container.

I love the idea of the different fragrances. You could end up with dozens of bottles of deodorant, though and then you're going to have to buy a second medicine cabinet just for your various deodorants! :)

Second, after an extended bout with painkillers, I have "mint flavor" Milk of Magnesia in my cupboard just gathering dust. I'm inspired to use it as more than a dust collector, though I'm wondering if it will make my armpits feel minty fresh.

Minty fresh, non-funky armpits might be fun once we get into summer... I'm thinking 50:45:5 (babassu/magnesium/beeswax) with the beeswax to harden the mixture with that much MOM.

I have been using 40% Phillips' milk of magnesia liquid (traditional mint flavour) mixed with 60% babassu oil since January and it is still holding together. It has not separated and is very effective as a deodorant.

I have been using 40% Phillips' milk of magnesia liquid (traditional mint flavour) mixed with 60% babassu oil since January and it is still holding together. It has not separated and is very effective as a deodorant.

That's good to know. Your weather is on the cool side, I assume?

I also found that just straight MOM worked perfectly as a deodorant. It's good to know that mixing the actual MOM with the babassu will work, too, and maybe in the winter I might try that for fun.

However, in hot summer weather, here where I live, I am positive it would melt. Coconut Oil melts in my house in the summer and it looks like babassu has the same melting point.

Since people have been having success with MoM, I decided to experiment with just Epsom salts and essential oils for deodorant. It hasn't gone through anything like gym time yet, but my mini (week long) test shows promise, though lacking babassu.

Roughly 1/4 to 1/3 Epsom dissolved in distilled water in a small spray bottle.
1 drop lemongrass EO,
1 drop clove EO,
1 drop cinnamon EO,
2 drops lemon EO
Oils are mixed into the Epsom salts and put in the spray bottle for easier distribution. The water is added last, and the bottle is shaken to dissolve the salts.

Bottle is shaken before using.

Post-it note provided for scale ;)

Update: next time I'll probably just use regular water instead of distilled. Save the distilled water for soap :D

20170406_090753.jpg

I was using Epsom salts for a while but got sick of making it up very quickly. It takes longer to dry than MOM but seems to work just fine.

I was using Epsom salts for a while but got sick of making it up very quickly. It takes longer to dry than MOM but seems to work just fine.

If I had to mix it up daily, it would be a lot of effort. I've been using it from the spray bottle - just giving it a few good shakes and spray it on de pits.

And it is easy enough to spray on and let it dry while doing the rest of getting ready.

If I had to mix it up daily, it would be a lot of effort. I've been using it from the spray bottle - just giving it a few good shakes and spray it on de pits.

And it is easy enough to spray on and let it dry while doing the rest of getting ready.

I was doing the exact same thing. It just takes long enough for the Epsom salts to dissolve that I'd have to prep it the day before I needed it. I was just forgetting about it or rushing to mix it up before leaving the house to make sure enough would dissolve before I needed it (my house tends to be on the cooler side and I was using refrigerated Brita filtered water). Convenience wise, it ended up much easier to decant the MOM into the same spray bottle.

Stinky Neem Oil - possible sub

BTW: I just wish there was something that could cover that rank smell.

Karanja oil is a close relative of Neem oil with the same benefits as Neem but without the characteristic odor. Maybe someone would be interested in swapping the two and see if their deo works the same.

Water in deodorant

Since people have been having success with MoM, I decided to experiment with just Epsom salts and essential oils for deodorant. It hasn't gone through anything like gym time yet, but my mini (week long) test shows promise, though lacking babassu.

Roughly 1/4 to 1/3 Epsom dissolved in distilled water in a small spray bottle.
1 drop lemongrass EO,
1 drop clove EO,
1 drop cinnamon EO,
2 drops lemon EO
Oils are mixed into the Epsom salts and put in the spray bottle for easier distribution. The water is added last, and the bottle is shaken to dissolve the salts.

Bottle is shaken before using.

Post-it note provided for scale ;)

Update: next time I'll probably just use regular water instead of distilled. Save the distilled water for soap :D

I know it's only deodorant but usually when we are making things and we add water to them, we need to worry about a preservative. I don't know.... what do you think?

Back