Cutting off ash.. Will it return?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenneelk

Reaction score
I still have yet to figure out how to keep ash off some of mine. Not sure why some get it and others don't. Can't use Saran Wrap on my mold and don't like the wrinkles it makes anyways.

So I'm using my cutter to cut slivers off the edges on these since ash is causing me to loose all my pretty colors.

Will the ash come back?? Any way to prevent now?
Does this ash look heavier than normal? There is a before and after cutting.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it will return if you cut it but have you tried a quick steam to get rid of it? There is a thread on here somewhere about it.

No ill search for it. Never thought about steam. Water spray didn't work.. Just came back.

I do want the edges cut... I like what's underneath better. But could steam the tops.
Thanks.

First things first: unless your recipe is really, really wrong, that's not lye on your soap. There's much discussion among soap makers about what it is, but it's probably not lye.

I usually trim mine (paper thin slices, which Don't impact my colors) just before I package mine. That's a minimum of four weeks after unmolding.

I have heard that either a layer of plastic wrap over the top of the mold, touching the soap, or spraying the Top of the mold with alcohol, can help prevent the ash.

No, it shouldn't come back. (Mine never has, anyway.)

If you ever use any fancy shaped molds and get ash on some of the details, you can use a soft, dry toothbrush to gently brush off the ash without messing up your details.

Anita

That's what I have to remember to do - spray every time I look or uncover for the first 24 hrs. I spray the first time, but with all my peeking that's got to be why I still get ash on some of mine.

You can also use a steamer to remove ash from your bars of soap. That way you don't have to cut any off.

My bad.. Anita I didn't mean to write lye... I meant to say ash in the first sentence. woops!

And with spraying alcohol (which I tried to do after the fact because I did recall it), can I just spray it right after I'm done? I don't ever cover my soaps with anything. With CPOP or fridge (they never just sit on the counter) I always have them open. Mostly because I had a bad initial 3-4 batches where the saran wrap made a funky top I didn't like or smushed it.

Robtr I'm going to check out the link.. thanks!

You can also use a steamer to remove ash from your bars of soap. That way you don't have to cut any off.

Steamer? Like an actual steamer or like putting in the bathroom kinda thing? I don't have a steamer. :/

I meant a small steamer for clothes. You could also use an iron that does a shot of steam. I saw a video of a lady who held her soaps over a steaming cup of water.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZbVAG0KgLA[/ame]

Or dip about half of your soap in a pan of hot water, count to 3, remove, and lightly pat dry. Reverse and dip the other half. Let dry. According to the folks that use this method, it works the same as steaming only faster.

My bad.. Anita I didn't mean to write lye... I meant to say ash in the first sentence. woops!

And with spraying alcohol (which I tried to do after the fact because I did recall it), can I just spray it right after I'm done? I don't ever cover my soaps with anything. With CPOP or fridge (they never just sit on the counter) I always have them open. Mostly because I had a bad initial 3-4 batches where the saran wrap made a funky top I didn't like or smushed it.

Robtr I'm going to check out the link.. thanks!

spray after you pour in to mold with alchol and you could tent some plastic over top so the air does not get at to much

Since the ash is from lye that pulled CO2 from the air, if you wait until saponif'n is complete (no free NaOH left) before scraping it off, the ash won't come back.

As to steaming it, why would you want to do that? Wouldn't you rather get rid of alkali than soften it up so it mixes into the soap--or than smooth it over like a pretzel glaze (I don't know which one steaming accomplishes)?

The soap does not dry with a pretzel glaze Robert. The soap you are commeting on was probably still wet. Why don't you try some of these suggestions first before commenting. The ash is not harmful in itself, it is just a cosmetic flaw that some don't like.

Ash use to bother me too but I don't worry about it any more. It washes off as the soap is used and my bars with ash sell just as good as ones without.

The hot water dip didn't work and actually just mucked up the top. Tried to blot then and it got all funky smeared so I'm off to try the iron since my new batch also has it.
And a little I don't mind but when you can't see the design through it I would rather have it gone.
:)

Steamer helped a nice amount but still have a little after it dried. Maybe can do it again.
Steamed them from about 5-6 in and they were all glossy and wet.. No ash until dried.
Here it is before

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back