Customer hospitalized

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get mine through the soap guild, too. But I've heard RLI is a better deal.

I'm under the impression RLI is for those who sell less than a certain amount a year though, right? While Soap Guild and the other one mentioned have no sales limit.

Probably something along the lines of 'retailer's liability insurance', but I like 100%'s description better.

RLI insurance will only cover you for up to $5000 in sales per year. Once you go over that number you have no liability insurance. When I was looking for insurance a few years back I was told that it could only cover my entire line of products (I also make jewelry) and my sales between the two were way over the $5000 limit so they were not even an option. I would hate for someone to pay for a years worth of liability insurance only to lose it partially through the year due to an increase in sales. Maybe this has changed recently and they upped the dollar amount......

http://www.rlicorp.com/Products/pl.asp

A better deal for me was the liability insurance through the soapguild (Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild) - covers both my bath and body and jewelry lines with no sales cap - plus all the benefits of being a member of the guild.

http://www.soapguild.org/

I have nothing to add except that I hope all works out for you and your unlucky customer. I am looking into insurance now!

RLI = Really Lame Insurance? ;o)

Not nice! ;-)
Read below
About Us

RLI is a specialty insurance company that has been successful for more than 45 years. Ours is a diversified portfolio of property and casualty coverages and surety bonds serving ‘‘niche’’ or underserved markets. We operate in all 50 states from office locations across the country. Our talented associates have delivered underwriting profits in 31 of the last 35 years, including the last 16 consecutively. Our insurance subsidiaries are rated A+ ‘‘Superior’’ by A.M. Best Company and A+ ‘‘Strong’’ by Standard & Poor’s.

Regarding the $5,000 cap, RLI insurance is worth consideration for those who barter or do small scale fundraising (church & neighborhood organizations etc.) along with occasional sales. It makes good sense for large scale businesses with varied product lines, to have appropriate coverage from appropriate companies like The Guild. Take a look at what you want to accomplish, research, ask questions then decide based on your needs.

:p

Last edited:
I have the feeling that it was the coconut, also. My cousin is deathly allergic to coconut and its an allergy that just started all of the sudden. I'm glad she is okay and I'm glad she's not in the mood to sue. On top of the insurance, you might also want to include a disclaimer that customers should test all purchases on a small area as skin allergies can happen suddenly with no prior reaction history. if also include a perfume made from clear jojoba for those with coconut allergies ( which is becoming more common). Good luck!

From what I've read, any allergy can happen to anyone all of a sudden, out of nowhere. Even if she had never reacted to coconut before, this could be a completely new allergy. Sorry that this happened to you and I hope she's ok!

I went to their site and it looks like they will link you to a subcontracting insurance firm. I get my insurance through the Handcrafted Soapmaker's Guild. I don't sell enough to really benefit from it, but I would rather be safe than sorry. If you sell make sure that you are insured.

Back