crisco hates me, what gives?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovedoxies

Reaction score
I've soaped three times with two different recipes that are predominately new crisco. It's traced too quickly and looks like poo. I would have taken photos if I wasn't afraid to stop blending and take the time to do it.

I colored the last batch with baker's chocolate and green mica, which I've used many times(I was going for a desert camo look) and it discolored around the edges. Doesn't even resemble partial gel or anything that makes any sense.

Please help! What gives with this stuff?

>Please help! What gives with this stuff?

I've been using it quite consistently, and I love it (new crisco). I do HP mostly, but have used it for a CP version. How are you melting it? What's the temp of it and the other oils when you add your lye? What recipes are you using (other oils)? Could you be more specific about your procedure? Are you using stick or canned Crisco?

there's a new crisco? i'll have to check it out. what's different from the old crisco? have been using crisco in a tub for months instead of palm and palm kernel oil, and have had no problems whatsoever subbing it, have just run my recipes through a lye calculator.

The old crisco had cottonseed and soybean oil. The "new crisco" has soybean and palm oils. The sticks I had used a different formula from the can...and it had cottonseed oil in it. I don't know if that has changed in the last couple of months.

thanks! i've been using the new crisco then, and it works great. i hate the idea of cottonseed oil, which is still in the cheap house brands of veggie shortening.

here's another question. anyone have any sources for 'sustainable' palm oil at reasonable prices? i'd love to be able to market soaps using sustainable sourcing but was unable to figure much out googling...

I have been wondering about subbing the new crisco for palm. It's hard for me to get palm oil.

paillo - In the recipe's you have subbed it what about what percentage was it? I have a recipe I love that is really low on palm, like less than 25%, that I want to try subbing.

Back