coloring salt crystals

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radar-78

Reaction score
There was a pic on the photo section a short while ago where someone (sorry, I don't remember who) posted a pic of individual salt bars with colored salt crystals on top. I want to color some salt for the same purpose (different design) my question is, what can I use to color the salt? I'm in the UK and we have limited color options compared with the US. I've got some powdered pigments on their way would these work? I guess the water soluble ones would be ok mixed with a little water, add the salt and allow to dry. Any other options? I was wanting red but the red oxide is a little dark and the bright red I ordered is only soluble in oil.

... it was possibly me, as I colour a few tablespoons of rock salt for the tops of my muffin salt bars.

I either mix mica with a little water or use liquid soap colours that I buy from Aussie Soap Supplies in Australia. I put the salt on a plate and add the colour ... mix and then spread out to dry. If there's too much liquid, I remove that before leaving to dry. I usually colour the rock salt the day before so it can dry overnight.

Thanks for the reply, I will try the oxides when they come and I just found some liquid soap colorants on a uk site so if I don't have any luck, I may order some of those to try.

I also use regular food colorings - spray lightly and mix and let dry for a day or two like what was said above. I only color the larger crystals.

I have done that too. I color the salt with soap color then let it dry.. It looked really pretty :)

radar-78 said:
There was a pic on the photo section a short while ago where someone (sorry, I don't remember who) posted a pic of individual salt bars with colored salt crystals on top. I want to color some salt for the same purpose (different design) my question is, what can I use to color the salt? I'm in the UK and we have limited color options compared with the US. I've got some powdered pigments on their way would these work? I guess the water soluble ones would be ok mixed with a little water, add the salt and allow to dry. Any other options? I was wanting red but the red oxide is a little dark and the bright red I ordered is only soluble in oil.

I have colored salt by mixing my pigment or mica with a little bit of oil then mixing that into the salt. I usually use grape seed oil. I have used water to do it before but with really bad results.

I was wondering about that with the oil soluble pigments but I figured they wouldnt dry out like water does and might transfer color when touched?I'll try both and see what happens.If not, I'll order some liquid soap colorants.

Latest posts

Back