Salting out. Tired. What does it need?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone and thank you in advance. I'm trying to not toss this batch away. It's so much used oil I seem to have cleaned nicely.

I decided to try salting out some soap, namely used cooking oil that I didn't want to throw away. A little over two gallons of olive oil to be exact.
Long story short, I oversalted and I'm left with a batch that's super soft and wont solidify. I added water, but the entire pot basically became a cloudy batch. It seems like the soap kept mixing with the water instead of helping the salt come off and end up with something cleanly separated once cooled.
My instinct from there was well maybe there's too much oil in this batch and the superfat content is too high.
How do I know if I need more lye? How do I know what the heck I need to do next? I tasted a tiny amount and its very salty.

Thank you.

Hi everyone and thank you in advance. I'm trying to not toss this batch away. It's so much used oil I seem to have cleaned nicely.

I decided to try salting out some soap, namely used cooking oil that I didn't want to throw away. A little over two gallons of olive oil to be exact.
Long story short, I oversalted and I'm left with a batch that's super soft and wont solidify. I added water, but the entire pot basically became a cloudy batch. It seems like the soap kept mixing with the water instead of helping the salt come off and end up with something cleanly separated once cooled.
My instinct from there was well maybe there's too much oil in this batch and the superfat content is too high.
How do I know if I need more lye? How do I know what the heck I need to do next? I tasted a tiny amount and its very salty.

Thank you.
Did you end up getting soap to separate out of this? Wish I'd have seen your post when it was new. My guess is it needed more lye.

Latest posts

Back