Castile for the New Year anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got on the bandwagon. Great idea to do a batch on January 1. I made mine with some of the red wine left over from last night; I scented with cranberry (my Brambleberry gift sample) and orange, and added some crimson sparkle mica for color. Still qualify as castile?:shh:

left mine in the mold for 48 hrs. by the time i wanna cut it, it has become too hard for the wire cutter to handle. i ended up using a knife. not really a fan of the smell. i left it unscented and it has this weird olive smell? am gonna make another batch with pure 100% olive next.

I made my castile soap about two weeks ago using 90% olive and 10% sunflower. Can I still name it "Castile Soap?"

This time, instead of distilled water, I used 100% aloe vera juice(for the 1st time)! Surprisingly, I had no problem of tracing it and pouring into molds. They look great so far. I cannot wait to try it.

Has anyone made soaps with Aloe vera juice?

Here is my Aloe vera Castile Soap :).

IMG_3682.JPG

A bastile is a modified castile, so 20% sunflower would be fine. With this one its up to interpretation, but most people feel it needs to be around 70% olive oil to be a bastile. Bastile is usually thought to mean a bastardized castile ;)

so, I was going to make some tooth soap tonight, but found out the EO I bought is lethal to use internally (guess I didn't do enough research..... :problem:). I was going to wait until tomorrow to make soap, but everything was already out. that was the moment. I currently have my castile in the oven hoping to gel (pilot light is on). will take pictures in the morning when there's better light!

I made a dent in my olive oil stash by making two 5 lb batches of Castile soap last night. One was the traditional 100% olive oil with no additives, and the second was 100% olive oil with added honey and beeswax that my bees produced last summer. I'll have to see if they're ready to unmold and take pictures!

Last edited:
I had to jump on the wagon also, 100% true castile here, only 3 ingredients, Olive Oil, Distilled Water and Lye.

I did a batch too, and my husband, who is so thoughtful, knew we were going out of town and was afraid my soap would get to hard to cut while we were gone, so he threw it in a plastic shoe box with the cutter, still in the mold, and brought it with is. After the incident where he was playing with my tops and smashing them flat with is hands, this time, he smashed my tops flat with the lid to the shoe box. :Kitten Love: He's lucky he came through with the beeswax and honey this weekend, that's all I'm saying. Oy!

I did a batch too, and my husband, who is so thoughtful, knew we were going out of town and was afraid my soap would get to hard to cut while we were gone, so he threw it in a plastic shoe box with the cutter, still in the mold, and brought it with is. After the incident where he was playing with my tops and smashing them flat with is hands, this time, he smashed my tops flat with the lid to the shoe box. :Kitten Love: He's lucky he came through with the beeswax and honey this weekend, that's all I'm saying. Oy!

A lot of dudes just prefer topless.

Back