Can you use micas to color wax tarts?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly B

Reaction score
I've been told you shouldn't use micas in candles because it gums up the wick, but what about tarts? Is there any reason micas wouldn't work in tarts, since the never come in contact with anything but the burner bowl?

I used mica last year and they looked nice when melted, but, just like in the video, they looked white before melting. This year I’m planning to make my melts with botanical infusions, as described by Jan Berry, here, but I will be using soy wax.

I used mica last year and they looked nice when melted, but, just like in the video, they looked white before melting. This year I’m planning to make my melts with botanical infusions, as described by Jan Berry, here, but I will be using soy wax.
I had the same result with mica. Let us know how the infusions work for color. Are you using coconut oil with your soy wax? I've been just using straight up soy wax to use some of the FOs I have that are either naughty or new IFRA rate casualties. I only bought soy wax because I can use it in soap (although I don't normally). It looks like the FOs to get rid of will outlast the 10 lbs of soy wax though.

I had the same result with mica. Let us know how the infusions work for color. Are you using coconut oil with your soy wax? I've been just using straight up soy wax to use some of the FOs I have that are either naughty or new IFRA rate casualties. I only bought soy wax because I can use it in soap (although I don't normally). It looks like the FOs to get rid of will outlast the 10 lbs of soy wax though.
I have some older CO infusions to use up, so I may try adding a little bit of beeswax with the CO in a base of soy wax, but will also try some color infused into soy wax directly.

Latest posts

Back