Longer Wick - Shorter Flame?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scentsable

Reaction score
So as we all have been told, well generally all of us, a longer wooden wick usually results in a longer flame - correct? Hence why wooden wicks need to be trimmed after a certain point.

I'm an amateur candle maker -- been self-learning and testing on and off for almost two years now, and I'd actually been trimming all of my wooden wicks BELOW 1/8th inch since any length above that would usually result in a really high flame for me. (flame periodically reaching higher than 1 inch.) (& Yes I'm aware that the "rules" call for 1/8th - 1/4th inch for wooden wicks.)

So typically this short length would work for me for about an hour or so then would slowly get larger than average--as in reaching 1 1/2 inches in flame height-- at the 2 hour mark, and would have MINIMAL soot. BUT if I continue to let the flame burn into the 3-4 hour mark, as the wooden wick also gets longer, it mellows out to a consistent, safe and appropriate flame height! Can someone explain this to me? As I've always been told longer wicks cause larger flames, yet here a longer wick burned up to about 1/2 inch is giving me the perfect burn!?

This would also go against the whole "Wooden wicks need to be trimmed every 3 - 4 hours thing, as mine does beautifully at this time frame and trimming would actually cause me a hefty-sized flame!

Maybe this is common sense, that the whole 1/4 - 1/8th inch thing is just a general base rule to follow with but doesn't necessarily apply to all this HTML class. Value is https://www.soapmakiucandles? Someone let me know!

I currently have not tested a candle with an un-burned wick trimmed to 1/2inch, but that will be my next test. I'm not sure if it it'll burn this way with a fresh wick at 1/2inch yet.

I have a Beeswax-Coconut 83 Mixture.

Thank you everyone!

Latest posts

Back