Wax melts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started learning wax melts. Here is a link with tons of free information and ideas. Halloween Inspiration: Candles, Melts, Fragrances, and more
Added: each wax seems to have a maximum percentage of fragrance that can be absorbed. CandleScience has tons of free information and tutorials for wax melts. Note that the temperature of the wax when adding fragrances is important. See the tutorials.

Last edited:
I don't really remember the ratios; but I used more soy wax than palm wax and just a little beeswax. I think that natural waxes burn cleanly. Beeswax has a higher melting point than some other waxes. Soy wax has a lower melting point which means it melts quickly and releases fragrance easily. Palm wax releases fragrance slowly and lasts longer than some other waxes. I used this combination as it was it was what I had on hand. It worked well for me. Hope this helps.:)

I use a votive and pillar wax at a 3/1 ratio. The votive wax give it the smoothness and scent through while the pillar wax gives it the hardness to hold its shape. I never use more than 6% fragrance. If a scent doesn't perform well at that percentage, I call it a dud and won't use it. The combo of waxes I use though, and the scents I use don't need more than that and can scent the full top level of my house pretty well. (also up into the landing of the the upstairs hallway - but all scents tend to gather there! LOL)

Thanks! Where can I buy votive and pillar waxes?
Any candle making supplier will have them.
Candle Science
Natures Garden
Aztec
Candles and Supplies
These are the main suppliers I get my candlemaking supplies from. There are a few others, but these are what comes to mind off the top of my head. :)

You can use a variety of waxes including soy wax, paraffin wax, bees wax, palm wax, candilla wax, coconut wax or you can even create your own blend of waxes.

I just started experimenting with wax blends this month. I've been blending soy wax, coconut wax, beeswax, paraffin, and carnauba wax. I have candelilla wax, and rice bran wax but haven't tried them in a wax blend yet.

My first blend was coconut wax, soy wax, and beeswax at 60%, 30%, and 10% and the scent throw was quite strong when I used a 10% fragrance load. I think 6% fragrance would be best for this wax blend. The resulting wax melt will be very soft and the fragrance would burn off easily...

IMG_1901.jpg

In my second wax blend, I used four types of waxes: coconut, soy, beeswax, and carnauba wax. I thought the addition of carnauba wax would make my wax melt harder but it didn't.... the wax melt was softer than my first one but it had a slightly glossy finish, and the texture was more like a balm -- creamy, waxy, smooth... 40% coconut wax, 40% soy wax, 15% beeswax, and 5% carnauba wax in this wax melt, and the fragrance load on this one was accidental 😇 because I had intended to just use 8% fragrance but overpoured to 12% clean cotton fragrance oil. I suppose it was okay since it's a weak scent and the scent throw was not as overpowering as the first one I made....

IMG_1916.jpg

I was curious about soy blends with paraffin and since I had paraffin pellets on hand, I decided to make another blend with it. So again, blended 30% coconut, 30% soy, 30% paraffin, and 10% beeswax with a fragrance of 9% pumpkin spice. The wax melts were hard, smooth, glossy, and cold throw is just right, but the hot throw was weak.

IMG_1936.jpg

I haven't tried wicking yet.... perhaps someone can share ideas, experiences.... cheers everyone!

I use Ky133. It’s an all paraffin blend with great hot and cold throw. It is beginner friendly and takes scent really well. It’s in granulated form so it is easier to use.

I've been experimenting with BW924 from Aztec (a coconut-apricot container blend) mixed with pillar paraffin for hardness. I'm waiting for them to cure. The 924 made decent melts on its own which was surprising for a container wax, but it's a little softer and harder to unmold than I'd like. Wicking is a pain for coconut wax candles, and I'm still at it months later.

Personally I'd prefer a parasoy or soy/palm blend, but I make melts and candles with a family member who has a severe soy allergy. I guess soy candles tend to not bother people with soy allergies when lit since the wax isnt really handled, but the doctor advised touching the wax was a no-go. Finding something with no soy but not 100% paraffin, which I dislike the look of, led me here. I'd never advise anyone to go that route unless absolutely necessary, but it can be fun to test out and blend your own waxes if you have the time.

A few others is problend 450 which is supposedly the same as Ky 133. Problend 450 is cheaper. The Candle Source has a tart wax that is supposed to be good.

I use TW30 from California Candle Supply. It takes two weeks to cure, but you can do a lot with the fragrance as it takes up to 18%. I normally do around 12%. The AC in my house is new, and the filter kills the fragrance molecules. It’s annoying, but the fragrance load also makes these last a really long time.

Latest posts

Back