Can it be saved, too much fragrance in hot process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistral

Reaction score
I made a batch of hot process soap and I added too much fragrance. Can it be saved if I made a batch of unscented soaps the mixed both batches in a crockpot? Would the heat damage the fragrance?

Mistral, theoretically that will work. But a lot depends on how much of 'too much' you used, what fragrance you actually used and how hot you get the rebatch. Some fragrances take a lot of work to soften or dilute them using this method because they are very strong to begin with. Some fade quickly with this method.

Do you know the percentage you did use for the batch size you made and if that is within the 'safe use' range given by the supplier for soap? If not, how much over the safe usage range is the resulting soap? Or is it the fragrance is too strong and you want to tone it down?

Mistral, theoretically that will work. But a lot depends on how much of 'too much' you used, what fragrance you actually used and how hot you get the rebatch. Some fragrances take a lot of work to soften or dilute them using this method because they are very strong to begin with. Some fade quickly with this method.

Do you know the percentage you did use for the batch size you made and if that is within the 'safe use' range given by the supplier for soap? If not, how much over the safe usage range is the resulting soap? Or is it the fragrance is too strong and you want to tone it down?

Thanks for the reply! I doubled the fragrance, I was planing on using 3.5%. But since the batch is small, I might risk it, and see what happens. I'll report back.

Back