Rookie Mistake- Hot Process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Before I dive in, I did search the forum for my question with no success.

My Soap Making Friends, it has been a while (about a year) since I have dove in to the world of soaponification.

I decided to start with something new, hot process soap making.

My first HP batch, olive and coconut oils, with patchouli and jasmine EO's, turned out above ok, but not good. I'm satisfied though.

Tonight (12/09/2023 @ 4:30pm) I decided to make an attempt at castile soap.

Heated the pot, added oil, added lye/water, and mixed... after all that, I set my phone alarm to check the mixture every 10 minutes.

1st alarm, slight bubbles so I stirred. 2nd alarm, same. As I proceeded to fall asleep on the couch, without my knowledge, my 7yo decided it was time to play a game on Daddy's phone. And the 3rd and 4th alarms thereafter were nonexistent. I proceeded to sleep for 90 minutes.

After waking with a panic from my slumber, I figured what the heck and flopped the soap mixture in my molds.

Have you ever noticed the quality of sleep one gets when it is unplanned?

Question: Is the soap worth saving? Thanks for your feedback!

If you were able to get it into the molds, it should be more than fine. Sometimes HP soap gets dry or crumbly when overcooked, but it is still soap, and still safe. :)

Latest posts

Back