Body butter and lotion bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyMom

Reaction score
Hi all .. Do you carry both body butters AND lotion bars?

Which sells better?

I have 5 shows coming up in March, and I'm wondering if people will even be interested in both products, or if I should just stick with one or the other?

:? Hmmm. That's a good question. I wish I could help, but I'm just starting out with lotions myself. I'd be interested in learning how it goes for you.

I don't sell, but I give away a lot. Noone has ever come back asking for more lotion bars, I get a lot of requests for body butter though. I've even had a few people politely say to save the lotion bar for someone else because they don't want to waste it.... having said that - if you want to make them both, do it - you won't know the demographics in your area unless you test it.

I used to make lotion bars and they sold great. My family has used them as do I and they always ask for more.

I normally sell more body butters than lotion bars. That was until Friday Night - I was at a pamper evening and sold 4 Lotion Bars and no Body Butters....so you can never tell.

But my main pet hate is wrapping the darn things !! As they melt on body contact, this is like wrapping ice cubes. Drives me nuts and when I finally have it wrapped neatly, my fingers are too greasy and the cello-tape doesn't stick anymore. :roll:

i dont sell body butter, but people have had some interest in lotion bars, i saw a guy selling them at craft sale in a tin for 8$, i bought one! Thats how i got started making them, but what a profit, those tins are only 50c each.

Well ... I'm having trouble packaging the lotion bars for sale. I don't people touching them and getting them grubby, so they need to be packaged somehow. I can't find any tins or anything, and mine are pretty firm ... so how would you get the bar back out of the tin?

At my show this weekend I sold OUT of body butter ... didn't sell a single lotion bar. :(

SoapyMom said:
Well ... I'm having trouble packaging the lotion bars for sale. I don't people touching them and getting them grubby, so they need to be packaged somehow. I can't find any tins or anything, and mine are pretty firm ... so how would you get the bar back out of the tin?

At my show this weekend I sold OUT of body butter ... didn't sell a single lotion bar. :(

You make them as normal and then just put them in the tin - depending on the size you make, have you looked into Tobacco Tins ?

I wrap mine in cellophane. Slippery little buggers though...

As you have sold out of body butters now, you will be making more of them...lots, so you don't sell out again....and then everyone will buy Lotion Bars, lol. That's what happened to me on Friday.... :lol:

this guy had round lotion bars and put them in tins, you dont mold them in there. I put mine in organza bags, have one or two out so they can see it. Or you can buy clear plastic(small) ziplock bags, i got 100 for under 5$ at joannes.

I discontinued all of my lotion bars a couple of years ago. This was because sales were slow. Body butters have always sold very well for me.

madpiano said:
I normally sell more body butters than lotion bars. That was until Friday Night - I was at a pamper evening and sold 4 Lotion Bars and no Body Butters....so you can never tell.

But my main pet hate is wrapping the darn things !! As they melt on body contact, this is like wrapping ice cubes. Drives me nuts and when I finally have it wrapped neatly, my fingers are too greasy and the cello-tape doesn't stick anymore. :roll:

Check out MMS, they have fantastic little plastic clamshells that hold the lotion bars perfectly. The are pliable enough that you just push on the bottom a little and they pop right out. They also have a hinged lid so the bars stay fresher a little longer. If they happen to melt a bit, just pop it in the freezer for a minute and they will pop out easily. My lotion bars are a huge seller, but only since I've started packaging them this way.

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/products ... hells.html

Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back