best way to line a PVC mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Dove

Reaction score
I think my first mold will be 3" pvc. What is the best way to line the mold or otherwise prevent sticking? I've seen plenty of videos where people had trouble removing their soap from the mold. I would like to avoid that problem.

I know that wax paper can be used but I don't know if it is the most effective.

I haven't used a PVC pipe yet but I've read that some don't use a liner. After the first time or two the pipe will get 'seasoned' and should slip out. You can do a search here to get some helpful hints on what others do (ie put it in the freezer to unmold, etc). You could try freezer paper but you will get an apparent seam on your soap.

Spray thoroughly with Pam. The next day pop into the freezer for a few hours. Take out and wait about 30 minutes. Use something about the size of the inside of the pipe to push out the soap.

I don't line mine. For best results, avoid a liner or even a lube. Soap, pour, let it set up good n hard, then put it in the freezer for a few hours... make sure it's totally frozen solid. At that point, it'll slide out easy if you jostle it; I tend to just drop mine from a foot up.

BITD, I tried lining 'em with waxed freezer paper, which sometimes caused imperfections if the paper got disturbed during or just after the pour, and half the time it'd still get locked up b/c the waxed paper gets moist, too. Then for a while i was lubing it up w/ OO, which worked b/c the extra OO would basically saponify, but it causes discoloration (lighter streaks) and I always felt like it was slimy on the outer layer, although it may've been all in my head, and it's been a few years now. If you use Pam, you may have similar results, plus then "Pam" will become one of your ingredients, along with all of Pam's ingredients.

It's true that "seasoned" pvc will let soap slip out more easily, but i recently bought more molds and the new ones gave up the soap without any fuss, once they were thoroughly frozen. Note, my basic recipe yields a "hardness" level of 45 on soapcalc....

Latest posts

Back