100 % Natural Or Not

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can you call cp soap natural if you use fo and artificial colorants

• yes

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • no

Votes: 40 80.0%
  • yes but

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • no but

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Arguing about what "organic" should mean isn't going to change the legal definition. Nor will it change customers' opinions/expectations/definitions.

Because, you know, they don't read these boards.

In the united states "natural" is not under any regulations. "Organic" on the other hand is regulated by the USDA. You can legally call your soap "natural" but to me it is unethical if you are including synthetics. To me natural soaps only synthetic can be sodium or potassium hydroxide.

*Edit:
You can legally call your soap "natural" but to me it is unethical if I am including synthetics.

Last edited:
You can legally call your soap "natural" but to me it is unethical if you are including synthetics. To me natural soaps only synthetic can be sodium or potassium hydroxide.

That is the point - To you natural soaps.....Opinion. That is all "natural" is...the opinion of whoever labels or whoever reads it. Frankly it doesn't matter if you think it is unethical....to others it isn't....it all depends on your opinion of the word. We all know opinions are something everyone has and they can be very very different.

The only time I would call it unethical is if the opinion of the soap maker was the same as yours and they still used it on a soap with synthetic ingredients. That would be unethical.

That is the point - To you natural soaps.....Opinion. That is all "natural" is...the opinion of whoever labels or whoever reads it. Frankly it doesn't matter if you think it is unethical....to others it isn't....it all depends on your opinion of the word. We all know opinions are something everyone has and they can be very very different.

The only time I would call it unethical is if the opinion of the soap maker was the same as yours and they still used it on a soap with synthetic ingredients. That would be unethical.

Yes, that is a very good point. Because the definition is not set, it cannot be unethical if the person believes it is "all natural" and labels it so. Like someone else mentioned earlier if I use synthetic sodium hydroxide it is not 100% natural.

The main issue is the "natural" term has lost a lot of meaning because it is abused. I think it would be great if a group similar to the "Certified Naturally Grown" became an answer. This would allow people to label "Certified 100% Natural" under an agreeable definition without government intervention.

Thanks for your clear comment Dorymae.

I think it would still be unethical because it is just what that person believes. Unless they clearly state why they mark it as all natural then the person buying it might assume that it meets their own standard of all natural, when it doesn't. This is unless the seller doesn't realise that all natural is not defined, in which case there are deeper issues.

There is a difference between illegal and unethical. The lack of a legal (government)definition makes calling some soaps and body products "natural" perfectly legal. It does not make it ethical.

TEG had the correct approach. Ask the customer what they define as natural. Then honestly answer according to their concerns. That is ethical, and legal. Because, to me, representing your product as anything other than what it is is unethical.

This is unless the seller doesn't realise that all natural is not defined, in which case there are deeper issues.

Made me laugh. But, I'm sure many don't realize "all natural" is not defined for labels though. Natural: existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind. It seems natural people would naturally think that something all natural is made by nature. People have gone to great lengths defending their stance on labeling food with synthetics as "all natural".

It's a pretty messy subject but this is a fun conversation. Thanks for bringing it up pecorasfigs.

Last edited:
Even the definition requires personal interpretation. Is refining something found in nature man-made? If it exists in nature, is it still natural?

Latest posts

Back