Henna tattoos

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khanjari

Reaction score
Henna tattoos are my other passion/hobby/love!
Just a sample of the tattoo I did on my hand :) hope you guys like it! :)
For those who are new to henna tattoos, the first 2 pictures are how the tattoos look like when they are just done and still wet, while it dries the skin absorbs the color and it stains the skin and the last picture is how the tattoo looks like when pealed off and cleaned!!! I love how intricate the design is..... just beautiful! !!!

1401243664207.jpg

1401243680718.jpg

1401243693328.jpg

Very pretty!

In high school & college I would often visit the henna tattoo booths at fairs/amusement parks... It wasn't the traditional forms, just using the technique to do temporary tattoos that would last longer than airbrushed ones. I loved it, but I haven't had much of a chance to get any in years... I purchased a kit to try to do them myself, but I don't have a steady enough hand, and no one else is interested in them.

I am so glad you guys liked it!

I have all the necessary ingredients that I could make and sell kits but I have never given it a thought! I can teach how to do it if anyone is interested :)

The original henna tattoos are really intricate. You correctly mentioned that the fair stalls just use the technique and then do any tattoo design.... The best thing is that since it is temporary, you don't have to worry about being stuck with a design. .... and of course, NO PAIN TO GET IT DONE!!!!!

Yes, I do make my own paste! :)

I do it for myself too but just sad at the fact that I can do it only on my left hand as I am a righty!!

The original henna tattoos are really intricate. You correctly mentioned that the fair stalls just use the technique and then do any tattoo design.... The best thing is that since it is temporary, you don't have to worry about being stuck with a design. .... and of course, NO PAIN TO GET IT DONE!!!!!

That's exactly why I like to get them! It's the artistic expression of a tattoo, but without the permanence or the health risks associated with having an open skin wound. :)

Didn't know you do could do your own paste - must google it. I bought some already in a tube but always remember to do it when I'm going to the dermatologist for a skin check and think better of it. I've got a book somewhere with designs in it, must dig it out to get some inspiration.

Yes, I do make my own paste! :)

I do it for myself too but just sad at the fact that I can do it only on my left hand as I am a righty!!

Same here! I've been looking for a really good, dark staining powder and the best ones I've tried are found online. I have relatively dark skin so it takes a little more staining power for me to get a long-lasting design, even if I wear and wrap the design for 6-8 hours before removing the paste. Suggestions?

Awww I tried to do my own but I'm just not artistic enough. Wish I had someone as talented as you to do it for me!! Love henna tattoos they are soooo beautiful.

Really pretty! I don't know if my hand is steady enough to do something that intricate, but it would be fun to try.

I'd love a tutorial and to learn how. We always get a version done that they have at the renaissance festival.

@ Jerliesa: I am a kind of wheatish complexion too so I hear you! What works best for me, I usually put the design on later in the evening after finishing dinner, when the design starts drying, dab a mixture of lemon juice and sugar on you design with cotton ball ( the acid in the lemon juice gives deeper color and sugar is sticky so makes the paste stick to your skin allowing it to stain more). Then let it dry overnight (if necessary, wear a latex glove so you don't end up staining the bedsheets and comforter) and then peal off the dry paste from the design first thing in the morning and DO NOT touch water to the design for about 10 hours (it may not be possible for some of us) but over that period of 10 hours the color darkens.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

@ Saponista:

Aweee, I wish I could have been able to be there to do it for you. .... my soaping friends would get a good discount and/or a good barter!!!!!!! I could use some amazing soaps ;) :p :D

I'd love a tutorial and to learn how. We always get a version done that they have at the renaissance festival.

First of all I have to apologize. I started to type my reply last night but was so sleepy that I just fell asleep and my husband put away my glasses and phone. ....didn't mean to not reply to your post!

I always go to the Renaissance festival and stop by there. They do it very differently!

I am not very good at making videos but was trying to find a video from YouTube to see if there is one that matches the way I do mine and saw this video that I will see if I can post the link here.

Really pretty! I don't know if my hand is steady enough to do something that intricate, but it would be fun to try.

I was the same way Jencat, until I actually started taking classes for the same. I learnt it from the lady who did my wedding henna. The pictures I sent are nowhere close to her work of art!!!!! I have to do a lot of practice and hopefully one day I can get closer to her art!

I am trying to paste a link of YouTube on how to make the paste and fill it in the cone.

How To Make Henna Paste & Fill Henna Cone: http://youtu.be/M1lvMBTfZoE

Please let me know whether you can see it or not.

The link works, but I find it hard to hear what she is saying with her accent. No Indian shops here to get henna powder :sad:.

Thanks for letting me know Relle!

I'm,not sure where you live. I am here in Charlotte, North Carolina and we have Indian grocery store that sells the powder. If you absolutely cannot find any store selling the powder, I can give you the phone number of the store here and may be that they can ship it to you. ... just a thought!

That's really pretty. There is a gal that does henna tattoos at our Farmer's Market and she does awesome work. I've had them done a few times. It amazes me the detail of them.

Latest posts

Back