Need help conquering labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzMolly65

Reaction score
I'm not a pro .. I'm just trying to make labels because I'm tired of repeating my list of ingredients to every family member or friend I give a soap to. I'm also tired of writing it out over and over .. so thought I'd give labels a try. Besides, I wanted my gifts to look a little nicer.

I bought some round Avery labels since most of my soaps are round and I did shaving soap in round mason jars.

I'm using the Avery Design and Print Online and the problem I'm having, that I can't seem to fix is that each label on the page is landing in a different spot. So, even though there is a printer adjustment it's not working because when I adjust for one label (I did the centre one) all the rest are off kilter. I tried printing one label at a time but have to make so many adjustments for one label that I'm wasting test paper out the hoo ha!

I'm so frustrated right now and any help would be appreciated.

instead of printing on the pricey labels, print on plain paper and line in up against the stickers so you're not wasting the stickers.... that's what I had to do for labels at work.....

good luck with them!

Is it an hp printer? Mine would never print on label stock correctly. Since that's what I print the most I ended up getting a new printer. Was so frustrating.

Round labels are about the only labels I print with my expensive (not favorite) label printer and even then they can be pesky. I have tried and tried rounds with my Epson ink jet and my Oki Digital Laser with no success. Also tried them on my Cannon Laser with no success​

I'm using the Avery Design and Print Online and the problem I'm having, that I can't seem to fix is that each label on the page is landing in a different spot. So, even though there is a printer adjustment it's not working because when I adjust for one label (I did the centre one) all the rest are off kilter.

I had the same problem with the Avery Design & Print Online. However, the labels came out better aligned when I downloaded a template to my computer and did it as a Word document. Unfortunately, they don't have downloadable templates for all the sizes.

I still haven't found any label software which is easy to use and prints accurately. It's very frustrating.

instead of printing on the pricey labels, print on plain paper and line in up against the stickers so you're not wasting the stickers.... that's what I had to do for labels at work.....

good luck with them!

That's what I've been doing but cannot, for the life of me .. get an entire sheet to line up at once. I can get one label at a time to line up but waste so much paper getting one lined up. It's just ridiculous.

Is it an hp printer? Mine would never print on label stock correctly. Since that's what I print the most I ended up getting a new printer. Was so frustrating.

Yes, it's an HP. :shifty:

What is everyone using to print labels? (Probably something expensive that is only worth buying if you're selling lots of soap.)

I had the same problem with the Avery Design & Print Online. However, the labels came out better aligned when I downloaded a template to my computer and did it as a Word document. Unfortunately, they don't have downloadable templates for all the sizes.

I still haven't found any label software which is easy to use and prints accurately. It's very frustrating.

Thanks for this info Hazel. Once I had the label all set up in the online printer program it seemed impossible to get it to work in Word.

I'll have to give that another go and see if I can get that working instead.

Yes, it's an HP. :shifty:

What is everyone using to print labels? (Probably something expensive that is only worth buying if you're selling lots of soap.)

Thought so. Your label will probably print up just fine on any other printer. :(

I have a printer in my classroom at school and would print my labels there. Got ridiculous though and my husband actually went and bought me a new printer because like I said, the majority of our printing needs were on label stock. He got a canon printer (i think for $100 on amazon?)

You could try to call HP to see if there is some kind of fix?

Labels are the bane of my existence. I was using their oval labels with no trouble other than feeding issues on my HP. My husband bought me a great Laser Printer and now nothing lines up. I have to adjust each different fragrance or when any changes are made and they are still not perfect. I need to make some round labels and am going to just print them on a single label page and then cut them out. I so wish I could afford to pay someone to make them for me.

I use the Avery online templates. It works pretty well for me. I do have to allow for a fairly generous margin, though. Have you tried squeezing things towards the center a bit more?

Once I had the label all set up in the online printer program it seemed impossible to get it to work in Word.

I do have some difficulties with Word. I can get a good printing of 2.5" round labels but couldn't get one of 2" round. That's why I was trying to print from the online template.

Well .. after a morning spent pulling my hair out and wasting ink on trial runs I'm about reading to throw in the towel. This is just ridiculous.

I've gotten pretty good at rotating one piece of paper around and knowing where the test will land, so I'm not wasting that much paper any more but I still print close to 10 test runs before finally being able to print 1 label, that's a lot of ink wasted and that stuff isn't cheap.

I'll be bald before long if I keep this up.

^^ That - I always create a word document so I can align each one individually and I can print from the same sheet multiple times by using the doc over and over as I move down the labels.

yea....can you create a table in word and just align everything that way? i can't deal with labels that don't line up either, so i just make my own. takes a while, but totally worth it in the end (plus, it feeds my OCD...lol)

I'm really surprised so many of you are having such difficulty! I have an HP printer and I've been printing fine from the Avery site. I have a Mac, maybe that's the difference???

Possibly a dumb question, but are you sure you got the right labels for your print - Inkjet or Laser? I made a mistake one time and Laser labels tend to be troublesome in Inkjet printers.

I know I got the correct labels. The problem isn't with all labels. It's the 2" round that I can't get lined up. Plus there are things I can't do with Word like creating circular text.

I use online labels.com for my labels and use their templates in my HP Officejet Pro 8600 inkjet printer. While it takes some tweaking it hasn't been too big of a nightmare. They will send you free samples to try as well and it is hard to beat their prices.

Plus there are things I can't do with Word like creating circular text.

That's why I didn't want to use Word. I tried and it didn't have the font I wanted, couldn't do the circular text .. basically nothing I wanted.

At least the on-line software has what I want. I'm having some luck with writing down the alignments I made to individual labels and printing one at a time and I'm happy with the final results but wouldn't want to have to print a lot of them.

Latest posts

Back