Castile for the New Year anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseb

Reaction score
Several people have stated that they will be making castile soap at the end of the year. I'm joining the bandwagon and making some today. However, I will be adding 5% castor...a girl needs some bubbles! :shock: Okay, alright I'll call it bastile then!

Who will join me!

Last edited:
meeee...

i wanna add 5% castor too. i've read that it made quite a difference in bubbles. still debating whether i should leave it unscented or add some EOs. perhaps i'll split the batch and make both.

Soaping is a terrible addiction...

I asked the children to get me the book "Scientific soapmaking" by Kevin Dunn for Christmas and I decided that I would not make any more soap until I read the book. Here we are, four days after Christmas, I have only read the introduction and have already made four batches of soap! The last one being the Bastile recipe from Soaping 101 as well. Reading the posts entitled "Castile for the New Year anyone?" spurred me on. This was something I had meant to try for a long time so now that I've done it I can concentrate on the book...:grin:

I definitely want to try making castile and bastile soap! I recently bought a ridiculous amount of olive oil that I now have to find ways to use up - there was a crazy manager's blowout sale on olive oil at my local grocery store for $3.00 per litre (which I believe is about 2 lbs worth) with no tax for a brand of olive oil that was regularly more than $14 per litre. I might have gone a bit overboard... :oops:

I made mine last Thursday. Olive was my only oil and I left it unscented, but did use Goat's milk. Actually, that is not quite true. I grabbed 2 bags of ice cubes, thinking both were GM. I'm thinking now one was coconut milk. It traced way too fast for a castille, and that CM had guar gum, which moves trace along. Maybe CM castille is the way to go! (This was about 3/4 CM. Rest was GM.) Think this will serve as a lesson for me to label better? Prolly not!

I will be adding 5% castor...a girl needs some bubbles! :shock:

i wanna add 5% castor too. i've read that it made quite a difference in bubbles. still debating whether i should leave it unscented or add some EOs. perhaps i'll split the batch and make both.

I'm doing it with castor too, but I wonder if a little more might be in order. What's the most anyone would recommend? I will definitely be leaving CO out b/c I want to try it as a face soap. Also for face soap reasons, and the fact that it has to sit so long, I may leave it unscented. Or maybe add just a tiiiiiiny bit of lavender eo and see how it survives the very long cure...

I'm going to do it too, probably on NYD. I was thinking I'd try it as a facial soap -- does anyone have thoughts on this? I have rosacea so my face is really sensitive to a lot of things. I've never used a castille soap (and I currently don't use any soap on my face) but it is supposedly soooo mild, it seems like it would be good for the face. I am also prone to acne. So for these reasons I would leave out castor and CO if I was really doing this for my face, and probably fragrance too. Anyone use castille this way, and have any advice?

Why does your CM have guar gum in it? Or is that normal?

It was the brand I bought. That was months ago and all was frozen into ice cubes, so I can't tell you what brand it was. It is possible to find CM without guar gum. Perhaps someone with more CM experience can fill us in on brands.

I made mine a couple weeks ago. 2 full pringles can batches, one swapping pumpkin and the other yogurt for water. I'm going to try out the end slivers at 6 months I think. Can't wait till next christmas for the whole bars!

I do the oil cleansing method and castor oil is very drying and stripping. I use VERY little castor oil mixed in with grapeseed, and if I have too much castor its obvious immediately with my skin feeling tight and dry.

Ohhhh.... pumpkin castile? Yumm! I love the pumpkin soap I made before, and it was high in OO, so that might be something I'll try with full OO too! Or carrot.... hmmm.... I like them both. I'm soooo impatient though. I don't know if I can wait a whole year to try it out... lol

Grayceworks, you do not have to wait that long to try it. It would be worth your time to try it at six weeks, then again every couple of weeks. That way you can see for yourself how it matures as it ages.

I'm doing it with castor too, but I wonder if a little more might be in order. Or maybe add just a tiiiiiiny bit of lavender eo and see how it survives the very long cure...

I also thought about adding more castor, but I wanted it as close to castile as possible. I couldn't leave it unscented, so I added a very small amount of lavender eo as well. :oops: Now the wait begins!

Canned Coconut Milk has guar gum. I think the only way to find CM without it is to buy a coconut and make your own. Soaping 101 has a video on this process:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiA1wtqYQ80[/ame]

Me, I'm going to use the canned stuff.

wow....I was thinking of doing this, but wasn't sure if I really wanted to. after seeing this thread, I now want to do a full castile, just water, oo and lye.

would it matter if it was regular oo or pomace oo?

I'm going to make a large-ish batch of castile today. Most of it will be for my sensitive skinned, coconut oil allergy little sister. The batch I helped her make will be ready in February (6 month mark) and she is excited to use soap that she made. Hopefully it will last her long enough for the new ones to cure. I don't know what she does to the soap but I think she might be eating it because she uses bars up fast.

Latest posts

Back