~*~ SMF March 2017 Challenge - Black Background Soaps! ~*~
~ March 2017 Black Background Soap Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Business Forum > General Business Forum > Soap/cosmetic/drug Q's

Old 10-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
HeatherSage

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherSage
Default Soap/cosmetic/drug Q's

I just signed up today looking for someone to talk to !!! I have not yet met another soap maker and am getting frazzled with all this reading about the FDA and etc.

It is my understanding that for soap, I do have to list ingredients on my soap ( once or twice?) . I would love to chat with a seasoned soap business owner help break in down for me in a more personal way, once I think I understand another paragraph confuses me. Thanks to all!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
Tabitha

Liked 87 Times on 32 Posts

It is my understanding that if it is just soap, and you make no claim you do not have to list ingredients, but if you do list 1, you must list them all. EX) If your label says soap w/ goat's milk, you listed one ingredient so you must list them all.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Tabitha

Here is where you will find most of the info you need about labels:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms
Is It a Cosmetic, a Drug, or Both?
(or Is It Soap?)

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-lab1.html
Summary of Regulatory Requirements for Labeling of Cosmetics Marketed in the United States.

Cosmetic Labeling Regulations as Published in Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Sections 701, 740 and Other Pertinent Sections.

Cosmetic Labeling Guide.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Soapmaker Man

Liked 37 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha
It is my understanding that if it is just soap, and you make no claim you do not have to list ingredients, but if you do list 1, you must list them all. EX) If your label says soap w/ goat's milk, you listed one ingredient so you must list them all.
Hi there, HeatherSage, and welcome to our friendly soap forum!
Tab answered your question completely correct. Also, you may not make any medical claims. For example, you cannot say "cures dry skin" or "prevents psoriasis" as these are medical conditions and fall under FDA guidelines.

Welcome to TSMF again.

Paul

Old 10-13-2008, 03:18 AM   #5
BubbleBitch

Thank you for sharing this!

I intend to label clearly, the ingredients of my soap and not make any claims as per medicinal values.

I was wondering though, I wish to approach some small stores in my country about carrying my soaps...nothing fancy, a couple mall kiosks and whatnot, do I have to certify my soap in anyway?

Like, if even after I make the soap, and use it myself, and I list the ingredients, suppose someone uses it and has a poor reaction to it health wise, what is my liability, how do I protect myself as a fledgling, novice businessperson?

Bubbly Whimsical Love, *****...

Old 10-13-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
Tabitha

I do not know what the laws are like in your country but it would be wise to get insurance for your soapmaking. You could be taken to court & lose everything.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:13 AM   #7
BubbleBitch

I will look into this.

Bubbly Whimsical Love, *****...

Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
HeatherSage

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherSage

Thank you both so much. I love making soap and thats the easiest part ! I just havn't found any examples of handmade soaps in any stores that i went into ( i am a visual learner) the internet has given me a lot of help but its easy to list ingredients on the net, trying to find the most reasonable way to list in my shop.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Tabitha

I would go over to etsy.com & see how some of those soap shops list their items.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Healinya

Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts

I'm curious - you can't say it 'cures dry skin' or 'helps with psoriasis'. But am I correct in thinking that you can mention 'many of my customers say that it is a miracle solution to their dry skin and psoriasis' (or something of that nature)?

From a few different jobs I had, I remember always having to put the phrase 'what I would if I were you, is....." rather than telling them what to do, to avoid a lawsuit.