~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Upgrading

Old 12-06-2017, 03:24 AM   #1
Catalyna

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Upgrading

Hi, I used so far for making soap a 2L pyrex and a size-matching mold.
The jar fitted well my large pan to create a double-boiler to heat the oils and also to mix the soap.
I'm thinking of upgrading to maybe a 5 lb mold.

I don't think my pyrex will be enough. What do you use when making more than 1.5-2 kg of soap at once? It should be something heat-resistant... or do you heat the oils in something and after that making soap in something else? Need some ideas.

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2017, 03:30 AM   #2
SoapAddict415

Liked 192 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 124

You can mix soap in a stainless steel pot or bowl.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.
-Katharine Hepburn

Old 12-06-2017, 03:37 AM   #3
bathgeek

Liked 117 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I bought a couple of buckets from the hardware store, theyíre #2 and #5 plastics. The smaller one can do 5lbs, the pails can do 8lbs, and if I need much bigger (uh, no, Iím not there yet) I could use my 5 gallon buckets too.
Seawolfe Likes This 
Old 12-06-2017, 04:27 AM   #4
Catalyna

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

K, so the plan is to pour heated oils is something bigger to make the soap. Thanks! Need to do some shopping for buckets!

Old 12-06-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 852 Times on 562 Posts
Likes Given: 3401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyna View Post
Need to do some shopping for buckets!
Or you could order coconut, palm, hydrogenated soy from MMS and use the buckets those oils come in... I still have some from when I first started soaping. They fit in the microwave for melting and are deep enough to add your lye solution and use a stick blender.

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html
Catalyna Likes This 
Old 12-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2349 Times on 1177 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

I use plastic bowls or buckets with #2 or #5 recycle numbers on the bottom as they are lye safe, so I can safely mix my soap batter in them. I sometimes use a stainless steel bowl, but it's a rather small one, so not large enough for large batches. I also use my crockpot to heat the oils and often just mix the soap batter in the crockpot as well. It really depends on the size of my batch and if I need to melt hard oils or not (not all my recipes have a lot of hard oils.) And since a crockpot tends to warm the kitchen a lot, I do tend to avoid using it in the summer.

I would caution against using Pyrex for mixing soap batter. Over time lye will etch the glass and when it might break can be completely unpredictable. IMO it is not worth the risk.

Often I will simply melt hard oils in a sinkful of hot water, placing the sealed container in the hot water. It doesn't work so well with Cocoa Butter, but for many it work perfectly to soften and melt my hard oils, and this way I don't risk over-heating the oils either.
toxikon Likes This 
Old 12-07-2017, 12:34 AM   #7
Seawolfe

Liked 2917 Times on 1536 Posts
Likes Given: 3607

+1 to plastic buckets from the hardware store. I have a whole collection of them that nest into each other well for storage, and all but the largest fit in my microwave for melting hard fats.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #8
Catalyna

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, I'll save the buckets from the coconut oil (I don't use palm anymore); I'll melt the oils in the pyrex (as I neither use a microwave) and mix after that in a bucket.
Thanks! Good ideas!

Old 12-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #9
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4994 Times on 2904 Posts
Likes Given: 1310

If you are going to pre melt and pour into another container for soaping melt more that you need. You will be suprised how much oil will remain in a container throwing off your measurements. I use #2 HDPE buckets for soaping, by measuring all my hard oils and melt in the micro, then measure in my liquid oils. I have the same soaping buckets that are 7+ years old. I also have stainless steel bowls that have a stable fairly wide flat bottom that I can put right on my hot plate for melting.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
Catalyna Likes This 
Old 12-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #10
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1205 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 735

I bought a set of wide, flat bottomed stainless steel bowls for soaping. The smaller sizes are good for small batches, and the biggest bowl should be able to handle up to about 10 pounds of soap batter, if I ever decide I need to make that much soap all in one go. Because they're wide and flat on the bottom, they're very stable- to the point where it would very nearly take deliberate action to tip them over. About half the set fits into one of my regular kitchen pots for a double boiler set up, only the very largest one or two bowls in the set won't fit into at least SOME pan or skillet that I have.

People Like This