Did I mix at too hot of a temperature?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzietx

Reaction score
This is only my second batch of soap.
I melted my oils in a double boiler.
I combined my lye solution and oil at around
110°. I divided into 4 colors and poured into the PVC mold. Once poured I wrapped the PVC with a heating pad on low for an hour.
It looks like it wanted to do a bit of volcano action. Do you think I combined my oil and lye solution too warm? Any other idea why it did this?

Attachments

• IMG_8669.jpeg
    IMG_8669.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8525.png
    IMG_8525.png
    371.1 KB · Views: 0
110 isn’t bad. Maybe try room temperature. I’ve never soaped with a ovc mold so I don’t know how insulating they are.

I don't think it was your soaping temp, or at least, not just that.

My PVC molds are super insulators. The soap often cracks at the top - and I soap with room temp lye solution and oils that are usually ~ 100ºF. If I added a heating pad, these soaps would probably volcano.

Try it without a heating pad next time. :)

I don't think it was your soaping temp, or at least, not just that.

My PVC molds are super insulators. The soap often cracks at the top - and I soap with room temp lye solution and oils that are usually ~ 100ºF. If I added a heating pad, these soaps would probably volcano.

Try it without a heating pad next time. :)
Thank you for the input.
I will try it without the pad.

This probably has nothing to do with it, but how old is your GV shortening? I ask because I have been trying to find some of the GV lard/tallow shortening for almost six months and it has been sold out, including online, that whole time. I just assumed they had stopped making it. I know old oils speed trace, maybe if yours are on the oldish side they contributed to your volcano effect. Maybe try another oil mix with a new batch of lard?

This probably has nothing to do with it, but how old is your GV shortening? I ask because I have been trying to find some of the GV lard/tallow shortening for almost six months and it has been sold out, including online, that whole time. I just assumed they had stopped making it. I know old oils speed trace, maybe if yours are on the oldish side they contributed to your volcano effect. Maybe try another oil mix with a new batch of lard?
My local Walmart has it in stock, but it's out of stock for shipping. I guess I better stock up!

That is annoying. I read somewhere that the GV one was mostly tallow, which I really wanted to use. After months of checking and only seeing the veggie GV shortening I finally gave up and ordered tallow from a soaping place, but it would be so much more convenient to get something locally. Darn these Southern California types and their crunchy ways - I can find tofu shiritaki noodles at my local grocery store but no tallow shortening.

That is annoying. I read somewhere that the GV one was mostly tallow, which I really wanted to use. After months of checking and only seeing the veggie GV shortening I finally gave up and ordered tallow from a soaping place, but it would be so much more convenient to get something locally. Darn these Southern California types and their crunchy ways - I can find tofu shiritaki noodles at my local grocery store but no tallow shortening.
I have heard of shiitake noodles but doubt I can buy them in my not crunchy county! The tallow-lard shortening makes nice soap, very white and very smooth. I use a custom profile for the sap, based on this paper exercise.

I saw that thread when I was researching GV shortening, it is one of the reasons I wanted to use it! Will cross my fingers it becomes available on line eventually. I even called them months ago to ask if they knew it would be, they had no idea. That is a pretty soap. Mine doesn't come out that white, even with 65% lard and no olive.

I don’t know how to determine when it was packed. Here is a photo of the date on the bottom of the can.
I also picked up another can, and the date is about a month newer. I’m assuming that they are still making it.

Attachments

• IMG_8673.jpeg
    IMG_8673.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8674.jpeg
    IMG_8674.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
That is a great result. If you can remember how you did it you can make a video and be the creator of the next great swirl craze :)
It’s really simple. I mixed orange, black, grey and white. Poured small amounts into the mold, just like you would pour for a pull through design. A little orange, a little black, a little grey, a little white, repeat until you use all of your batter. Bang it on the counter to attempt to remove any air bubbles. That’s really all there is to it.

Latest posts

Back