Zelichan's first attempt at solo soap making thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zelichan

Reaction score
Okay so I'm getting into this whole soap making gig. I will document my process in this thread.

I'll be making a recipe from my wife's book I'm borrowing:
The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How (Natural Body Series - The Natural Way to Enhance Your Life
First I need some supplies. I broke out the credit card and hit up amazon.

41X45W-d1HL._SY90_.jpg

100% Palm Oil - 16 Fl Oz

Le Silicone, Set of 2 Big and Small Nonstick Silicone Loaf Pans
Coconut (Fractionated) 16 oz Carrier Oil. A Base Oil for Aromatherapy, Essential Oil or Massage use.
Aromatherapy Top 6 (Organic) 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Basic Sampler Essential Oil Gift Set- 6/10 ml (Lavender, Frankincense, Eucalyptus, Rosemary,
Sold by: Prime Time Commerce

41lLWyTgfjL._SX90_.jpg

Allforhome 6 Truck Jeep Car Shape Silicone Cake Baking Mold Cake Pan Muffin Cups Handmade Soap Moulds Biscuit Chocolate Ice Cube Tray DIY Mold

41y%2BiwfrVLL._SX90_.jpg

Allforhome 4 Cavity Soft Silicone Baking Cake Chocolate Handmade Soap Ice Mold Hello Kitty Moulds

21M0cGdiTmL._SY90_.jpg

Bamboo Soap Mold
RED CROWN High Test Lye for Making Award-Winning Handcrafted Soaps, 2 lb.,

Isn't it awesome how we can get nearly anything on Amazon, and free two-day shipping? (with Prime)

You may find you do not need the FCO, the essential oil will blend in your palm oil just fine. Also be sure to fully melt the whole container and then stir it up. Palm oil will separate into it's factions each having different melting points. Even if you intend to portion it as a solid, it may have separated somewhere along the way so doing this with a brand new jug is advised.

What's the recipe you will be using?

I bought stuff from all for home and it takes ages to arrive - well to UK it does because it is shipped from china - good luck though - it's really exciting I cannot wait to turn out the moulds - it's the only thing that gets me up in the mornings - but seriously it is addictive but the people here are so helpful good luck from sunny West wales in uk

I need to remember that not everyone is in the US. And maybe this is a good time to point out that filling out your profile can help us give good feedback! :)

Fractionated Coconut Oil = FCO
Cold Process = CP

'Twould be best if you used regular Coconut Oil which is normally called 76 degree or 92 degree depending on the Fahrenheit degree it melts at. It will also be cheaper by a large margin, normally.

I'll also cover some "Soapmaking 101" type issues really fast, which is not just for you, but for any other newbies reading this, OK?

First off: Even if you get the recipe out of a book, you MUST run it through a lye calculator for yourself. Typos happen, and editors are not process testers. Most recipes are fine, but you do not want to find out the hard way that it isn't. If you need some suggestions of newbie friendly calculators, let me know.

Second: You did not mention safety goggles and gloves in your list of purchases. Those are not optional. They are more important than fancy molds.

Third: Did you get a stick blender(AKA immersion blender)? You really do want one.

Fourth: Do you already have a good digital scale that will measure grams? You must have a good scale, as all soaping is done by weights.

Fifth: You will want to find some EOs that are intended for soapmaking in the future, they are cheaper.

Here are a couple of threads you need to go read before progressing:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=51841

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=49627

Last edited:
Fractionated Coconut Oil = FCO
Cold Process = CP

'Twould be best if you used regular Coconut Oil which is normally called 76 degree or 92 degree depending on the Fahrenheit degree it melts at. It will also be cheaper by a large margin, normally.

Dang it. I didn't notice this. Thanks for the catch. I'll order the right coconut oil before I move forward.

I'll also cover some "Soapmaking 101" type issues really fast, which is not just for you, but for any other newbies reading this, OK?

First off: Even if you get the recipe out of a book, you MUST run it through a lye calculator for yourself. Typos happen, and editors are not process testers. Most recipes are fine, but you do not want to find out the hard way that it isn't. If you need some suggestions of newbie friendly calculators, let me know.

Thanks for the tip. This recipe is one my wife used before so it's sound as the pound. I'll have to remember to look up the calculator for future soaps.

Second: You did not mention safety goggles and gloves in your list of purchases. Those are not optional. They are more important than fancy molds.

I already have these. I also woodwork, weld, make my own sausage, butcher my own deer. I have tons of safety equipment. Thanks for your concern. Lye is some nasty stuff that will ruin a fun day of soap making for sure.

I got the 'fancy molds' because my wife only had these old school wood molds that I made for her. We had to line them with wax paper and they were a pain in the but to deal with. I only spend less then a $20 spot on the molds.

Third: Did you get a stick blender(AKA immersion blender)? You really do want one.

My wife already has one in her soap making kit. I do recall mixing by hand decades ago. It's painful. the blender makes life easy.

Fourth: Do you already have a good digital scale that will measure grams? You must have a good scale, as all soaping is done by weights.

Yes. My wife has her soap one and I have one that I use in my baking. I view this whole process like baking. If you weight out the ingredients and keep things precise it will help to make for a better finished product.

Fifth: You will want to find some EOs that are intended for soapmaking in the future, they are cheaper.

Here are a couple of threads you need to go read before progressing:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=51841

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=49627

When I hit up Amazon I was seeing people recommending different things. I need to find a good soap ingredient only supplier

Thanks for the reply and the links. I'll read them now.

There are quite a few soap suppliers out there to choose from. I like brambelberry.com but they can be slow on shipping, especially if you live far away. wholesalesuppliesplus.com is another great one, I get a lot of lotion supplies from them.

For fragrance oils, I really like naturesgardencandles.com They have a lot of info on their scents regarding discoloration, acceleration and ricing. I like to know what to expect when using a new FO/EO. Nothing ruins your day quicker then instant seized soap.

Back