Zap testing for lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziesgirl

Reaction score
I made a batch of soap that ended up with small white spots. After reading a lot of posts about this, I decided I should probably zap test it with my tongue to make sure it wasn't undissolved lye. I gave it a pretty respectable test in an area with 3 of the little spots, but nothing happened, other than me realizing my soap is not delicious. My question is, would I have really felt a "zap" if those spots were lye?

I made a batch of soap that ended up with small white spots. After reading a lot of posts about this, I decided I should probably zap test it with my tongue to make sure it wasn't undissolved lye. I gave it a pretty respectable test in an area with 3 of the little spots, but nothing happened, other than me realizing my soap is not delicious. My question is, would I have really felt a "zap" if those spots were lye?

Yes, you would know if it was lye. :) Did you make CP or HP? If HP it could just be dried chunks from cooking/cooling and if CP it could be stearic spots or FO spots. A photo would help for sure.

Not only would you feel it if it was solid lye crystals, it would have burned your tongue and that pain can last for days. In the future, don't lick anything you suspect might be a solid chunk of lye in your soap. It hurts (I know from experience) and it is just not necessary. Wash your gloved hands with the soap being sure to lather up on your GLOVES, then zap test very carefully, just a portion of the lather. Not a big glob of lather. If it's lye, you will feel the zap and you won't have to end up with a burned tongue. Oh, and rinse with lots of cold water after if you feel the zap.

It was a cold process soap. I started with the buttermilk in small frozen cubes. I've actually made this recipe before and it turned out fabulous. Not sure what I did different, but I do think my lye has taken on moisture.
27 oz. Olive Oil
5 oz. Coconut Oil
8 oz. Buttermilk
2.5 oz. Carrot Puree
4.3 oz. Lye

IMG_1687.jpg

Latest posts

Back