Youtube salt bar recipe failed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I made this Tues night. It is 12.8 oz coconut, 2.4 olve, .8 shea, 6.1 water, 2.5 lye and 12 oz of salt. I reduced it down to 1/4 of the recipe just to make a couple of bars and see how they turned out. For one thing I think the recipe has too much water and also with it reduced that small it wasn't enough to use the stick blender, too shallow. I used 1/4 oz of scent.

The bars certainly didn't harden within a few hours and not even overnight. So I put them in the freezer last night and this afternoon they finally came out of the individual molds but not neatly. Only one very small one is intact. I expected ash and they do have that.

I have a really good scale and lye both so nothing was off. Plus the bars never got warm and I had them in the living room where I was, not a cold room. So they didn't harden, didn't gell, and also the recipe took forever to trace. I guess because of no stick blender used.

Is this normal behavior for the recipe I used, not being all coconut?

I have made salt bars before that were not 100% coconut and they turned out fine. I wouldn't have used that much water, I would have cut it back to about 5.3 oz. I don't have a clue why it didn't turn out for you. Can you rebatch salt bars? The first time I made a salt soap I did CPOP and it worked fine. Wish I could help.

I've added up the recipe and there isn't anything out of place about it except the water amount. I wish I hadn't thought I needed that much because of the salt. You don't, it doesn't soak up any that I saw. This was one of the slowest traces I've ever done. It took 45 minutes.

I kind of doubt about rebatching them. I tried to make a soapball and it won't hold together at all like regular soap.

Have you got any soap scraps? If you have enough soap scraps you can grate them and rebatch with the failed recipe. The dry soap scraps should use up some of the extra moisture.

I don't know if it's worth if for 2 and a half bars and the scent let me down. But I'll try it in the future maybe. I'm going to do just about the same amount of water to lye, too. Thanks

or you could try grating and making it into sugar scrubbies. salt soap is tricky to do for sugar scrubbies that hold together in a small mold unless you use it in a base of M&P, in my experience. maybe jars of just sugar scrub and accompany with a little wooden scoop? these scrubs are lovely! nothing ever has to be wasted, there's always some way to repurpose it :)

I like the thought of trying to rebatch with some scraps. Wouldn't the heat maybe help dissipate the scent from the failed bar? It might not end up as hard as a regular salt bar, but you might still get a nice exfoliating bar.

Thank you for the encouragement. Scent morphed but mostly died so whatever I do with this pile of blue salt soap I might add more scent oob because it smells good that way. I've not yet had a scent morph in anything but goats milk.

Love the ashy look and it's so right because it makes it look salty. This was regular sea salt. I wonder how Bali pink would do. At Christmas I made some bath salts with it and a vanilla scent resigned to the idea that it would probably turn them a mahogany color but not yet.:)

Back