Your favourite thing about the Soapmaker program?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I reeeeeally want to get this (saving my pennies!!) and am wondering what everyone thinks of it.

Are there any features in particular that you really love?

inventory feature, while it takes abit of work getting supplies all counted and or weighed and entered and as long as you keep it up come tax time a couple of clicks and you have current inventory totals for your tax man.

i have used this since it came out years ago. the new features make it better then ever.

the invoice feature is great.

I have the "old" version and will upgrade at some point. I love the fact that you can compare recipes side by side in a graph, makes for easy recipe tweaking! Also, easy to figure your cost and adjust as appropriate. You can file your recipes according to "type", which makes for easy organization, and lordy do I need that! :oops:

Just among of the few favs!

A question for the people that have it...

Does it have invoicing software? Can you set up accounts?

I was thinking about getting a simple accounting program like Quickbooks or Simply Accounting for when I start selling my soap. If I get the Soapmaker program will I not need those?

AshleyR said:
A question for the people that have it...

Does it have invoicing software? Can you set up accounts?

I was thinking about getting a simple accounting program like Quickbooks or Simply Accounting for when I start selling my soap. If I get the Soapmaker program will I not need those?[/quote

yes it does. it allows you to print out invoices, it automatically removes the sold soaps from your inventory. it tracks sales.

It does all of that and I love this program. However - it won't track your GST and other business expenses. You will need Simply Accounting to do your bank reconciliations, balance sheets, bank deposits and all the other day to day, monthly and annual accounting that you need to do. With the SEP you are going to be required to submit monthly Balance Sheets and for that you are either go to have to have a Bookkeeper and then an accountant for year-end or learn to use Simply Accounting. So although this program will give you all the information you need to price your soaps including packaging. I also love how it tracks my inventory of supplies as well as what soaps I have left. But like I said I don't use it for invoicing because I need my true Accounting program to track sales, taxes etc.

I can't imagine life without my SoapMaker program!!!!

QuickBooks is easier to learn however not all accountants use or recommend it. The most popular for small business is Simply Accounting. You can get an accountant set your books up, and tell you where they want what entered or you can simply pay a bookkeeper about $100 a month to enter all the info and then print off your balance sheet for review. The third option is to buy the program so you can have the bookkeeper send the file to you for review and print off the reports your want and need.

I sent my Mom for a refresher course on Simply Accounting and she is handling the bookkeeping because I am just way too busy to do that as well.

HTH and you're more than welcome!

I love everything about the program . Once you get everything entered you are good to go.The recipe section is awesome , I could play for hours.if you forgot where you bought something , check your suppliers list . The note section on the recipes is awesome , you can go back and add notes about the soap you made , be it good or bad. Note what you might like to try the next time , I could go on and on ( Oops I already did).
I am a fairly new soap maker and this program is a way better than looking through my oil stained note book trying to find a note , etc.I write on my working recipe paper as I make the soap and enter the info when I am done.

I love love love the soapmaker program.

Kitn

Thanks for the info Lindy!

My Mom is an accountant and also runs her own business, so I am really lucky there! She will help me with anything I need to know about the books (or do it for me if I need her to!) I'm relieved about that! She uses Simply Accounting so that is most likely what I will use too!

I cannot even begin to tell you all the wonderful things about Soapmaker! I LOVE IT! I really don't know how I'd live without and the new upgrade has so many more features!

I also use QuickBooks along with Soapmaker. Some of it is a little repetitive having both since I have the Manufacturer version, but it's a good way to double check myself.

Kristin I didn't know they had a Manufacturer version - did you have trouble finding an accountant who works with it for your year-end and taxes? Or do you do them yourself? I've had that program before & I absolutely loved, loved, loved it but becasue accountants here prefer to use Simply it was strongly suggested I go with it instead of QuickBooks.... :?

Kristin that is so cool! And it's wonderful that you can do your own accounting - how in the world do you find the time? I'm just as happy to pass it off to someone else personally. I used to do my own bookkeeping with my past businesses but I decided this time that I need to focus on what I do best...

Back