**** you soap!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
I am trying to do a butterfly hanger swirl. My attempt last week failed cos my batter thickened up too much so when I swirls it was grainy and not defined enough

Tried this recipe tonight as someone commented on an older post of mine that it's slow moving and boy was it

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1421441819.158977.jpg

SB for a few times then separated out for my colours whilst just at emulsion. Had a very small amount of purple and green then ice blue for my base. The blue just would not trace, SB for ages then it just went to thick trace straight away!! Yet purple was just right and green too runny!!

Am I better SB the whole lot to thin trace then separating for colours? I need to be at light/medium trace so that my base is thick enough that the colours don't just blend but thick enough to use my hanger swirl

Any tips??

I separate at emulsion, add the colors to all the portions but don't SB them until I get the base color to thin trace. Then I start working on the smaller containers of colors. Seems like the larger portions take longer to trace so I work on it first.

Yeah that's pretty much what I did tonight but the base colour was so thin and runny for ages then suddenly went to thick trace. Also the colour I had the least of stayed really runny - the other colour was just right.

I feel like goldilocks!

This is why I prefer in the pot swirls. I need my soap at a specific trace, as long as its thick enough not to instantly mix when poured together I'm good to go.

I think you'll have better luck if you stop mixing at light trace. By the time you get all your containers lined up by the mold and start pouring, it should be thicker. Even if its thinner then you want, if you pour slow over the back of a spoon or spatula, it should work out ok.

Brambleberry has a recipe on their site called Beautiful Swirls...it is a slow moving recipe that gives you plenty of time to do swirls. I am also new to soap making and have had frequent fails. I did have success with this recipe, though.
Hope this helps!
Lisa FL.

I think you'll have better luck if you stop mixing at light trace. By the time you get all your containers lined up by the mold and start pouring, it should be thicker. Even if its thinner then you want, if you pour slow over the back of a spoon or spatula, it should work out ok.

Thanks for the tip will try that tomorrow. 3rd time lucky??

Brambleberry has a recipe on their site called Beautiful Swirls...it is a slow moving recipe that gives you plenty of time to do swirls. I am also new to soap making and have had frequent fails. I did have success with this recipe, though.
Hope this helps!
Lisa FL.

My recipe was very slow it just took ages to trace. Then I probably SB for a little longer afterwards than I should have.

Those are pretty! I see nothing wrong with them at all

Back