Ylang Ylang - can anyone explain the smell?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm another weirdo that doesn't much care for ylang ylang but loves cilantro. Even weirder is the fact that both of my parents think cilantro tastes like soap! I don't necessarily get the cat pee smell but more of a sickeningly sweet rotting smell . . .
I am another lover of cilantro and my mom and step-dad hate it. Growing up my mom told me I would hate cilantro, then along came my step-mom from Mexico City and she also told me I would hate it. They were sooooo wrong, I love it. But then my mom used to tell me I would hate yellow tail and would never take any when my Uncle would give us some. Guess what it is my favorite fish, which I discovered after getting our boat. Can be amazing the influence our parents have on us. My taste buds highly expanded when I married an Armenian/Romanian. Yummy foods and they make halva which is a sweet farina dessert, that I am guessing is similiar to what V mentioned.
As for Ylang Ylang I find sickening sweet and I would have to agree with the heavy banana, fruit moldy etc

Oh, but add lavender and it softens to a delicate floral I never use III by itself (and do not know anyone who does, actually) but it can add wonders to a blend!!!! Don't discount it because of its single note!
Oh I am so glad you said that...
I just bought a KILO of it and some other EOs that were on a 50% off sale. I know it was widely used for blending so that's why I bought it. The box is sitting in the hallway and I was dreading opening it up and hating the scent. Now I am breathing a sigh of relief...
Gonna go and open it up now...

Okay I opened it up....
My first impression was:
Fruit loops dipped in gasoline
I wouldn't want to use it straight but I think I'm gonna like it blended.

Add me to the hate category for cilantro {I cant stand being in the room with it, and if I smell it in the produce isle at the store I run away}...but I LOVE Indian and Mexican food....weird no?

In a former life I was a chef and hated cilantro but had to use it as my boss loved it (I was a private chef for a millionaire). Then a trip to chicago for a conference where there was a five star restaurant in my hotel, so every night I ordered something different...the last night I was running late and called my favorite waiter who had waited on me all week and told him to order my dinner and to pick things I hadn't tried yet...I forgot to tell him to skip the appetizer dish I saw that had a cilantro sauce with it...
Well, I loved it, no tinny taste at all...I asked to speak with the chef and he told me for those that don't like cilantro it's probably that the leaves are left too big, they should be minced finely. So fast forward a few months and I'm invited to a holiday dinner at a good friends house. I offer to make the appetizer. I know she loves scallops, so I find a recipe with bacon wrapped scallops with a sauce that contains cilantro...don't remember it exactly but mayo, lime juice, siriacha chili paste and cilantro. I minced it as recommended and it was amazing! Everyone asked for the sauce recipe and it is now a standard for hamburgers and sandwich toppings and most of the people there hated cilantro. I used to hate cilantro in salsa but now finely minced...I love it. Weird how such a small change can make such a big impact...

Add me to the hate category for cilantro {I cant stand being in the room with it, and if I smell it in the produce isle at the store I run away}...but I LOVE Indian and Mexican food....weird no?

If hating cilantro but loving Indian and Mexican food makes you weird J, it would make me doubly weird based on my origins.

Latest posts

Back