YIKES!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian, I do test everything I make. I don't test on animals but on my family and friends instead. Is that bad? :D Actually I should say I have a LOT of volunteers who like to take on the task for me. Also I use the push up deo tubes for the sticks. This makes for a nice big stick that everyone loves but I hope to find a one ounce twist up tube to replace these as I don't care for the push up tubes. Here are a couple of good websites that tells you a lot more information about arnica and the beneficial properties of it.
http://www.arnica.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnica
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/arnica-000222.htm
Of course with anything there are the possibilities of reaction...even natural stuff. So I tell everyone to try it in a small spot first to see how they will react to the stick. When I first started looking into arnica I mentioned it to a friend who is a nurse and she was all about it. She was telling me about some other nurses who use arnica themselves. Maybe I can convert them to using my sticks???

While I was filling my orders this weekend, I was able to make several little lotion bars that were about the size of a half dollar to put with my orders as a free sample. I took a snack sized baggie and a seal-a-meal to divide the baggie in half. That is what I put them in with a little label saying what it was. That went over well too!

Thanks to all!

Asil02 said:
Also I use the push up deo tubes for the sticks. This makes for a nice big stick that everyone loves but I hope to find a one ounce twist up tube to replace these as I don't care for the push up tubes.
I have issues at times with my hands and the twist up is soooooo much easier than a push up. Definitely a better option for older customers. I have also pushed something up and right out on the floor. As a gentle reminder, do not make any claims about the arnica sticks. If you are in the US, it changes the category of your product and must meet FDA regs. Best of luck to you!!!!

Digit

Tabitha said:
Don't worry, you will get faster & more organized as demand increases. You ca always anounce everthing a limited edition, that way when it runs out, it just runs out.

This is exactly what I did when I first started making creams/lotions and didn't have the money to keep things in stock.

Your arnica sticks sound really interesting, I did a net search and didn't find it readily available as an EO, do you buy it with a carrier oil?

Asil -- I know it's exciting, but keep in mind that this initial surge of interest may not be a prediction of things to come. Any business takes time and effort to build in the long term, even if you have a lot of interest right at the start!

For now, do your best to provide what your "customers" are asking for. Don't over-promise, just deliver to the best of your ability. What seems overwhelming now, will -- in time -- be well within your comfort zone.

Keep working on your product, testing it out (enthusiastic friends and family are great testers), and developing your business. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Digit, I agree with the push up but for now that is all I am able to get in the size I want and it seems to be okay...for now anyway. I will keep looking for what I want and hope to find it. And I will be VERY careful with "claims" of anything. I just tell people to read up on what arnica is and let them try the open stick I have in my purse. I am getting VERY good feedback on it!
I like the "limited edition" thing too. I am taking y'alls advice on this and telling everyone that everything is an LE! :)
barefootbody the arnica isn't an FO or an EO...or at least I don't think it is. I infuse the herb into an oil that I use to make the sticks along with my special blend of butters and EOs.
danielito I agree with you about the long term part of this. In fact I doubt this little business of mine will ever sustain me but I LOVE that there is any interest in it at all. I think I need to focus on a small amount of product to produce and do them well. Maybe later I can expand if things work out.
Again thank you all for the pointers, ideas and reminders. I do appreciate it very much!
TTYL!

Do you grow your own plant? What part is used, the leaves or the flowers?
I'm really having a hard time finding much information on this topic!

Also, do you use anything like MSM as a carrier for your rub?

Edited later in the evening:

Ok, well sometimes you just have to know what to punch into the search engine - I did better with typing in flowers, whole, but I still can't seem to find much info on using the flowers, and I am still curious about how you use it.

Also, do you use the meadow arnica, or the montana?

Latest posts

Back