yet another label prototype

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how is this label, overall? (please think before voting, no changes allowed)

• good

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • bad

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • ok, needs work

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am well aware that stores nationwide sell bulk soap without an ingredient lit on the soap. I myself sell bulk soap with no labeling in more than one. At that point, it is up to the store how to 1) display the soap and 2) what information to display with the soap. I would argue that a start up selling NOT in the bulk section (as zum is if is by oz and cut your own) will have difficulty opening wholesale accounts with no ingredients on the labels.

The ingredients have to be on the label. I would also list the scent on the front and leave a space for a UPC code.

Andrew you seem to be all over the place--and I think you are being kind of===I don't know if its arrogance or if you are just in the mood for a fight. but seriously?

You mean the busy labels? Pretty sure they only use one or two fonts, though.

Mind you I really don’t like Dr Bronners stuff. I strongly object to “Pure Castile” with coconut oil and a million additives.
I really like the Dr. Bronners packaging. Bright, colorful/color coded and easy to understand packaging. Turns out they don't use INCI labeling. Bronner's story is a really great one. He was quite crazy!

Dr. Bronner's is a bit drying for me. I find it too bad that 'Castile' has morphed into a term for vegan soap rather than pure olive oil.

Mind you I really don’t like Dr Bronners stuff. I strongly object to “Pure Castile” with coconut oil and a million additives.
Yeah you have to get past the coconut oil-as-Castile for sure, but what additives do you mean? Tocopherols and citric acid are the only ones I see.

Andrew you seem to be all over the place--and I think you are being kind of===I don't know if its arrogance or if you are just in the mood for a fight. but seriously?
I just got confused by the "soap with labels do not need ingredients lists because bulk soap sold in a store close to me with no labels has no ingredients listed on the nonexistent labels" comments. I guess I did not use exactly the correct wording in my previous comments.

Coming back to the original topic, @SeattleMartin these labels by onlinelabels.com would also be great to use. They have glue on the back so you can make them nice and tight around the soap bar. A slight added expense, but they add a professional touch and are a lot faster to put on which is nice when you have a lot to do. I use the craft brown ones. If you ever want to shrink wrap your soap as well this could go either under or over the shrink wrap.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol1030?src=dlc-305&sr=1061529696

https://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol1103?src=dlc-305

I like the label - I think "we care about you" is a nice touch. It says to me that you want a relationship with me, not just my money. Which, if you read about marketing, you will find that that there is a lot of discussion about making a connection with people. Those tear jerker ads... making an emotional personal connection. Anyways, the only thing that I would change is adding ingredients, correcting the weight to the correct notation, and contact information (important because I want to continue this relationship, so where can I follow you on social media, how can I talk to you?). As a consumer (I buy a lot of soap in addition to making it, I will be the cleanest person during the zombie apocalypse!) I don't buy without an ingredient list. I've run into sellers who don't have it labeled, and they give me a spiel about the ingredients, but then they give it to the next person and it's a completely different order. I want to know the correct order - if coconut is the highest oil I probably won't buy it - and I want to know what all is in the soap - essential oils? which ones? I was picky before I made my first batch and unfortunately soapmaking has made me even pickier :) When I first started selling almost 4 years ago, almost no one read labels (in my area), now I have the opposite, more people are reading the label than not. Consumers are becoming more educated (sometimes falsely, but that's another post) but at least now I have a chance to educate them if they have questions or concerns.

Here are my 2 cents, for what it’s worth!

Front: The initial feeling I get is rustic and old fashioned. The style reminds me of something I’d see in a general store from days gone by, so if that is your intention, well done!

I like the ampersand in your logo (I use an ampersand in my logo too, so I’m partial!) I do agree, though, that I’d keep it in the logo, but change it to the word “and” anywhere else.

I really like the font you used for the word “Everyday,” but don’t really understand the point the word itself. Is it the name of the soap or its intended use? Adding on to that, I can’t really tell what the soap is called. Is it called “Everyday,” or “Plain & Mild” or is plain and mild just a descriptive term for the soap? Either way, I’d make plain and mild at least as wide as the word “Soap” or else it gets lost on the label.

Back: I like the message since it gives us a feel for your mission, but I’d maybe shorten it and move it to the side of the label, and save the back for an ingredients list and contact information. I agree with the others here who prefer an ingredients list. In addition to making my own soap, I, too, like to try others soaps, but won’t buy it if the ingredients aren’t listed on the label.

Sorry to say, but the line “We love you…” sort of gave me the willies. I understand what you are going for, but it felt too personal an invasive to me. I think saying something like “We care about you…” may come across better. Maybe shortening it to “We care about you, and the Earth.”

Sides: I’d include the whole Facebook link so it is easier to find your company without having to do a Facebook search. You want to make it as easy as possible for your customers to get to you!

I also agree that the side message about not putting it in your mouth sounds too harsh and like it’s a dangerous product that I'd be weary of using on any part of my body. Maybe tone it down a bit. I do like the humor though!

Hope this helps and good luck with your business!

SeattleMartin, I know your prototype does not include ingredients, which you explained, but within the confines of responses to your request for feedback, it is clear many consumers will forego purchasing a product without an ingredients list. Some suggestions have been made as a way to list ingredients for sale, but the mention of using the phrase 'saponified oils of ...' as an option brings me to point out that this is not the better option when listing ingredients on soap and I will explain why I say that.

Also it will not meet the US federal regulations if you ever sell a soap that can be called a cosmetic or drug by the FDA. IMO, conforming all labels to meet the most restrictive regulations to start will make it far easier in the long run. Granted, you may never sell a cosmetic or medicinal soap, of course. But that would leave out a certain amount of expansion in your business. Case in point: Many male soapers seem to like making and selling shaving soap, and as I read the law, that is a cosmetic by US federal standards, so cosmetic labeling laws would apply.

Further discussion about creating an ingredients list by using the phrase 'saponified oils of...' followed by the list of oils that went into the pot:

Where does this leave the un-saponified portions of those oils? Was the soap made with a superfat? Even if not, are there not still unsaponfiables in soapmaking? Yes, in fact, there are. (Hint - the lower the SAP value, the more unsaponifiables in the oils/fats/waxes.)

Therefore, is the use of 'saponified oils of ...' an accurate or inaccurate method of listing ingredients? I suggest, as do others, that it is inaccurate, and in fact misleading.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Previous commenters and the same webpage states that soap does not in fact legally have to have an ingredient list at all.

That is irrelevant to my point about using the phrase 'saponified oils of...' in the ingredients list for soap per the quote you sited, therefore I don't understand what point you were trying to make when you made this statement in response to my comment about using the phrase 'unsaponified oils of...' on the ingredients label. Regardless of the fact that I also have stated that the US regulations indicate that ingredients lists are not required for true soap (although is required for cosmetic and medicinal soap).

I have had store owners and customers ask endless questions about INCI labeling and lye and such. Just giving my input as a regional brand and what has worked best for me in terms of selling product. Which is the OP's end goal.

And I am giving input as well, based on my understanding, research and many discussions here at SMF about proper labeling, and from lectures and presentations at various soap maker conventions, seminars, etc. on the topic at hand. I also saw 'saponified oils of ...' being used and when new, thought, sure 'why not?' But that was before learning it is not really the correct way to label soap for sale. And although I don't sell, it was recommended that labeling properly whether one sells or not, especially if one plans to sell eventually, should be the goal at the outset. So for conformity's sake and being the federal regulations geek that my job of my profession made of me, I chose to follow the US federal regulations as best I can and stopped using that term on my soap ingredients list.

I, too, have numerous discussions with people who receive my soap. Most of them had no idea how soap was made, and many of them would ask questions about the process and the ingredients when they learned I make soap. Discussion of the ingredients list is part of the educational process for the customers, which IMO is a good thing. Sadly, I have heard a few soap sellers give mis-information when having these discussions with their customers in the sales setting. It is sad, but true, which is why we often have these discussions here at SMF to help clarify and separate such things as doing it the right way as prescribed by (in this case) federal regulations vs. what seems to be an accepted practice that is not considered the right way per the experts on the regulations in question as they pertain to the topic at hand.

Still, since it works for you and the soap you sell is only sold as 'a cleansing soap' and none can be construed as cosmetic (oh, wait, don't you sell shaving soap, which by definition is intended to improve ones appearance and provide a smooth shave and possibly sooth the skin?) I suppose you can list your ingredients anyway you want.

Also it will not meet the US federal regulations if you ever sell a soap that can be called a cosmetic or drug by the FDA. IMO, conforming all labels to meet the most restrictive regulations to start will make it far easier in the long run. Granted, you may never sell a cosmetic or medicinal soap, of course
To build on Earlene's comment above... I believe that even though you may not market your soap as "moisturizing" [we know as soap makers it doesn't, but many soap makers still promote their soaps that way], all you need is one review or comment of your product that has a cosmetic or medical value (moisturizing, acne clearing, etc.) and then your soap will be considered cosmetic or medicinal. Reviews on your website, your FB business page etc. I can't remember where I read that, but it was a legitimate source so I trust it. I agree fully with Earlene's advice to label for all scenarios.

Once you have your ingredients format setup correctly on your label, it isn't a hassle to adjust for slight recipe deviations. I use SoapMaker3 software which will export my ingredient list in the correct order from each recipe I make. Then it's an easy copy and paste into my label. My recipes don't vary much by oils, but other additives or liquid replacements can be a hassle to figure out on my own. The right software makes it so much easier. My apologies for the slight deviation off topic, but as you expand into selling, a good soapmaking program is something you might want to consider and ingredient listings are just one of the benefits. [Again, really really sorry for straying from the critique of your label.]

It's going to be your label, so personalize it, make it as you like it. If it's crowded, I will believe it's not going to be more crowded than Dr.Bonner's soap labels, they include also verses from the bible and other things that has nothing to do with soap.
So follow your heart and play with your logo, your fonts and everything you will like to be add it.
By the way, I'm a Graphic Designer and the first rule is...."Less is more"....... not always apply.
Just follow the rules, and good luck!!

Hey everyone! I honestly thank you all so very much. I was hoping to respond to everyone in direct replies but I don't think I will have time. While I can't say that I agree with everyone, there are a good number of very valid points and opinions here.
I hope to clear a few things up real quick.

• This was a prototype and it is actually just one of three current label prototypes. I have made about a dozen label prototypes in the past few months. This was actually the only one that did not list ingredients, but I will believe I will be providing ingredients on the label when all said and done.
  • If you were one of the ones to notice that the soap in the package was not what the label said, then congratulations. Truth is I just grabbed a soap to test the label size. I didn't think it really mattered much, but I can now see that I should be more careful so as to be very clear and avoid any confusions or distractions.
  • Yes, the Dr. Bronner brand is a bit of an influence, thank you for seeing that. Yes, I really am that sort of person. I actually do care. Maybe it makes me crazy or weird or creepy but I want to make it very clear that we, as a company, care for people and for our environment. However, I may stay a little more true to my roots as a designer and fall back on the K.I.S.S. theory of design.
  • I thought it was amusing, but thanks for pointing out that the mouth washing bit may not be understood or received well.

One point that I believe I want to explore and understand better is the matter of 'public opinion' and and how consumer perceptions may lead to being classified as a cosmetic or drug despite the soap maker's best and honest attempt at simply making, marketing and selling soap. Just soap. In fact, this is the one really big thing that I want to explore. I believe it was mentioned in this thread here:
One example of how public perception can influence how a soap might fall into a cosmetic or drug category: Historically, pine tar is used medicinally and many people perceive pine tar soap as at the very least 'soothing', and often much more medicinal than that. There is a long history of pine tar as a medicinal application for skin problems, therefore, if a soaper uses pine tar in their soap, they really should follow all the required labeling requirements for a drug, even if the soaper clearly states on the label that it is soap and only for cleaning. Why? Because the buyer is more likely than not, buying the soap for it's perceived medicinal application. One can argue that it is not necessary if you state 'for cleaning only', but why not just follow the labeling requirements for a drug and rest easy? It's not that hard to meet those requirements.

Again, thanks everyone. I need to get back to work now. :)

SeattleMartin, I know your prototype does not include ingredients, which you explained, but within the confines of responses to your request for feedback, it is clear many consumers will forego purchasing a product without an ingredients list. Some suggestions have been made as a way to list ingredients for sale, but the mention of using the phrase 'saponified oils of ...' as an option brings me to point out that this is not the better option when listing ingredients on soap and I will explain why I say that.

Also it will not meet the US federal regulations if you ever sell a soap that can be called a cosmetic or drug by the FDA. IMO, conforming all labels to meet the most restrictive regulations to start will make it far easier in the long run. Granted, you may never sell a cosmetic or medicinal soap, of course. But that would leave out a certain amount of expansion in your business. Case in point: Many male soapers seem to like making and selling shaving soap, and as I read the law, that is a cosmetic by US federal standards, so cosmetic labeling laws would apply.

Further discussion about creating an ingredients list by using the phrase 'saponified oils of...' followed by the list of oils that went into the pot:

Where does this leave the un-saponified portions of those oils? Was the soap made with a superfat? Even if not, are there not still unsaponfiables in soapmaking? Yes, in fact, there are. (Hint - the lower the SAP value, the more unsaponifiables in the oils/fats/waxes.)

Therefore, is the use of 'saponified oils of ...' an accurate or inaccurate method of listing ingredients? I suggest, as do others, that it is inaccurate, and in fact misleading.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

That is irrelevant to my point about using the phrase 'saponified oils of...' in the ingredients list for soap per the quote you sited, therefore I don't understand what point you were trying to make when you made this statement in response to my comment about using the phrase 'unsaponified oils of...' on the ingredients label. Regardless of the fact that I also have stated that the US regulations indicate that ingredients lists are not required for true soap (although is required for cosmetic and medicinal soap).

And I am giving input as well, based on my understanding, research and many discussions here at SMF about proper labeling, and from lectures and presentations at various soap maker conventions, seminars, etc. on the topic at hand. I also saw 'saponified oils of ...' being used and when new, thought, sure 'why not?' But that was before learning it is not really the correct way to label soap for sale. And although I don't sell, it was recommended that labeling properly whether one sells or not, especially if one plans to sell eventually, should be the goal at the outset. So for conformity's sake and being the federal regulations geek that my job of my profession made of me, I chose to follow the US federal regulations as best I can and stopped using that term on my soap ingredients list.

I, too, have numerous discussions with people who receive my soap. Most of them had no idea how soap was made, and many of them would ask questions about the process and the ingredients when they learned I make soap. Discussion of the ingredients list is part of the educational process for the customers, which IMO is a good thing. Sadly, I have heard a few soap sellers give mis-information when having these discussions with their customers in the sales setting. It is sad, but true, which is why we often have these discussions here at SMF to help clarify and separate such things as doing it the right way as prescribed by (in this case) federal regulations vs. what seems to be an accepted practice that is not considered the right way per the experts on the regulations in question as they pertain to the topic at hand.

Still, since it works for you and the soap you sell is only sold as 'a cleansing soap' and none can be construed as cosmetic (oh, wait, don't you sell shaving soap, which by definition is intended to improve ones appearance and provide a smooth shave and possibly sooth the skin?) I suppose you can list your ingredients anyway you want.
This is a very interesting discussion and I enjoy reading everyone's points of views.

Soap packaging I believe is regulated by the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act. Shaving soap is also regulated in the same manner as it is not a cosmetic. So the good part is if you get into shaving soaps then you do not have to change your labeling.

As DeeAnna has described in a different post and Marie Gale describes, you can list the ingredients as they go in the pot to cook or come out. Both are just as accurate if you do it correctly. In my experience people tend to look at the ingredients for 1) vegan 2) palm 3) allergies 4) and high end ingredients like jojoba, cupuacu, and abyssinian oils.

If you do put lye in the ingredients list, then putting a foot note saying none of it is in the finished product will save a lot of questioning. And limiting the amount of questions from packaging at shows is essential.

The more I think of it, the more I like ZUM packaging. Company name, product, and variation are all top down right on the front. Ingredient list is on one side and I assume a description is on the other with the UPC on the back. I also find it interesting that they use my ingredient method. Patcha looks like it has a similar cigar band layout, but with an ingredient list that lists the lye.

I would personally look at cigar bands that wrap up and down the label. This way it will not wiggle down or fall off if the bar shrinks too much.

Shaving soap <snip> is not a cosmetic.

Marie Gale disagrees with you on shaving soap, as you can see here:
https://www.mariegale.com/melt-pour-soap-soap-cosmetic/

Read down on Marie's response to a question about CP shaving soap and if it is a cosmetic on May 7, 2016.

But even more to the point, so does US Federal Regulation as of April 1, 2018:
CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=720.4

Look at
§720.4 (4) (c) (11) (vi)

Shaving soap is listed as a cosmetic, therefore, the FDA considers it a cosmetic, therefore, it should be labeled as a cosmetic according to FDA regulations and the CFR.

Perhaps you missed that update to the law, but it's right there in black and white in the Federal Register.

Net weight... Approximate Net Weight? <snip>

I don't even need to use "net weight" but just simply state the weight?

I just wanted to address this question. Throughout the various parts of the regulations pertaining to labeling of the weight of consumer commodities, this phrase is included: " The terms “net weight” or “net wt.” shall be used when stating the net quantity of contents in terms of weight, ". Now although it is not in every portion of the law as it pertains to how to label each and every category of consumer commodity, as someone who has repeatedly met with regulators in my profession (retired now), I would not use that as an excuse to avoid using the phrase 'Net wt.' or 'Net weight'.

In my former life dealing with federal regulators, that kind of argument did not ever fly. You might never have to deal with a federal regulator, but all it takes is one complaint by a consumer to have them down on you sending you one of those 'misbranding' letters and you would have to change all your labels. Better to put 'Net Wt.' or 'Net weight' on from the start.

ETA: NO, I WAS WRONG:

I just found this:
§500.9 Units of weight or mass, how expressed.
(a) The term net weight or net mass may be used in stating the net quantity of contents in terms of weight or mass. However, where the term “net weight” or “net mass” is not used, the quantity of contents shall always disclose the net quantity of contents. For example: “453 g (1 lb)” or “Net Wt 1 lb (453 g)” or “Net Mass 453 g (1 lb)”.

Oops, you already did read that! I just re-read your post wherein you even quoted it. Apparently I only skimmed that post! The regs certainly are hard to maneuver, aren't they? Anyway, I am sorry for not reading your reference more thoroughly!

Last edited:
Earlene,

This is for cosmetics. Shaving soap, by definition from the FDA, is a true soap and thus not regulated by the FDA. Or, at least the artisan wet shaving products most people including me make. Please understand that you cannot look into comments of an old article and use it to make broad statements about the current industry.

The short answer is that this woman is confused about how products in the industry are marketed. Please feel free to contact me via private message if you have any further questions so we don't hijack the thread. You were happy enough to do this when you wanted information about soy wax in calculators.

Andrew, Title 21 of the Federal Register is dated April 1, 2018. That is not old; it is actually fairly recent. It is adminsitered by the FDA, as it is clearly written in the title.

The listing therein is for cosmetics, yes, and if you look down the page, shaving soap is listed as a cosmetic. "(vi) Shaving soap (cakes, sticks, etc.). "

There is no need to discuss this privately. The entire community here makes soap, many make shaving soap, so the topic is of interest. The fact that you are saying the FDA does not define a shaving soap as a cosmetic here in this thread, indicates that you do not agree with the regulations set forth by the FDA in the Federal Register, which I linked.

And I take umbrage to you telling me what I can and cannot look up in an article about our industry. The fact that Marie Gale, an expert in the field, stated in 2016 that CP shaving soap is a cosmetic, and the FDA states as much in 2018 in the Federal Regulations, certainly seems to me as though what was true in 2016 is still true today only a few months later, since there is no new regulation replacing the 2018 regulations as far as I am aware.

ETA: New thread started on this topic: Shaving Soap is regulated as a cosmetic according to the FDA in the U.S.

One point that I believe I want to explore and understand better is the matter of 'public opinion' and and how consumer perceptions may lead to being classified as a cosmetic or drug despite the soap maker's best and honest attempt at simply making, marketing and selling soap. Just soap. In fact, this is the one really big thing that I want to explore. I believe it was mentioned in this thread here:

This has been in the back of my mind and I ran across something today that might address it, from the perspective of the FDA. It is included in the FDA website here: https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosme...smetic-drug-or-both-or-it-soap#Definecosmetic

Scroll down to the section titled: How is a product's intended use established?

One thing that is very notable to me in the difference in how we label 'true soap' and how we label a 'cosmetic soap' is how we list the colorants in said soap. The FDA has a list of ingredients that have to be listed in cosmetics a certain way, and by just listing 'mica' for all micas used in a 'cosmetic soap', we may very well be in violation. So it is important to know if a soap can be ruled a cosmetic under the FDA's regulations. The above link could get you started on that.

Kenna of Modern Soapmaking explains it quite simply here regarding listing micas in cosmetics (which soap may well be in some circumstances.) Scroll down to "Labeling Mistake #6".

One thing that I have found to be very informative is to attend soapmaking conferences with presenters who are experts in the field, legal experts who address changing regulations and are always willing to answer specific questions as necessary. If you ever have a chance to attend one, you might really enjoy it. I know I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew, Title 21 of the Federal Register is dated April 1, 2018. That is not old; it is actually fairly recent. It is adminsitered by the FDA, as it is clearly written in the title.

The listing therein is for cosmetics, yes, and if you look down the page, shaving soap is listed as a cosmetic. "(vi) Shaving soap (cakes, sticks, etc.). "

There is no need to discuss this privately. The entire community here makes soap, many make shaving soap, so the topic is of interest. The fact that you are saying the FDA does not define a shaving soap as a cosmetic here in this thread, indicates that you do not agree with the regulations set forth by the FDA in the Federal Register, which I linked.

And I take umbrage to you telling me what I can and cannot look up in an article about our industry. The fact that Marie Gale, an expert in the field, stated in 2016 that CP shaving soap is a cosmetic, and the FDA states as much in 2018 in the Federal Regulations, certainly seems to me as though what was true in 2016 is still true today only a few months later, since there is no new regulation replacing the 2018 regulations as far as I am aware.

ETA: New thread started on this topic: Shaving Soap is regulated as a cosmetic according to the FDA in the U.S.
This is very interesting and I greatly thank you for starting that new thread. I look forward to keeping this thread on labels which has made me think more and more about my own.

PLEASE note that if you are selling your soap and you Verbally state that the soap is Moisturizing or anything other then 'it is soap, it cleans' then you have just made your soap a cosmetic.

The word "Advertising" includes things you say while you are selling your soap.

Back to the LABEL in 1st post.

1) Put Ingredients on the label, if it is a Organic oil, then list that in the ingredients.

2) take out what you have on the back, that goes on your website. Saying you use and like to use Organic oils means poop unless you list ingredients ... see #1

3) Not sure what you meant when you said "previous labels included ingredients but it felt to be a bit much work when also listing the ingredients with the online listing"
To me, this statement looks like it would be too much work for you. Like you are cutting corners.
either list the ingredients or don't.

4) I know this is said but you list just what the Minimum weight of the soap will be when it is sold. You said you search regulations but clearly didn't if you put appx.

you should probably learn to swim & run before you do a triathlon. You need to learn to make a good soap before you start to sell it.
It looks like you decided to sell soap before you learned how to make it. It doesn't work that way and you won't be making $$$$$$$ of money off of it.

Latest posts

Back