Yellow spots on soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDA

Reaction score
Hello
Can someone please tell me about my yellow spot on my soaps...?
I have sunflower oil in it, could it be that i have to much sunflower oil.? Or that the soaps stand tight together?
Have someone the same problem?

Attachments

• DSC_0199.JPG
    DSC_0199.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0195.JPG
    DSC_0195.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 49
Were the soaps made with High Oleic Sunflower oil? What % of sunflower used in the recipe? How old are the soaps?

Yes it was but other oils to, like olive oil , rapeseed oil, coconut oil. Some 33% 41% and another 24% is it to much sunflower?

They smell good not dad at all .

Dos?
Eo/Fo?
SF did i have?
This smal words i don't understand in Swedish

Smell great not bad at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a good article that explains how to tell if an oil is high oleic or not.

As the article explains, a high oleic (HO) oil is better for making soap because it doesn't become rancid as quickly as low or medium oleic oils.

I use HO canola AND sunflower oils in a pretty high concentration in some of my soaps (30 - 40%) and haven't had a single instance of DOS on any of them, despite living in a very high humidity region.
I hope this helps you!

Thanks it help me a lot but how do i now if it's high or low oil when a bay in store...?

To add to DeeAnna's post - I think "monounsaturated fat" would be "enkelomättat fett" in Swedish. I'm not sure what nutrition labels look like over there, but hopefully they're similar enough!!

@steffmarie -- Thanks for the clarification! I was hoping Google does not mangle the translation too badly, but I have no Swedish, so I have no way to check.

Hi DeAnna

I have just read your very informative article. You managed to answer Exactly what I had been wondering about, thank you. I am attaching a photo of an oil that appears to just creep into the mid oleic range and I have two questions. Given that the oil is just mid oleic, would I be correct in thinking it would contribute very little to the hardness of a bar of soap? Secondly, as this product has anti-foaming additives, would those additives have any affect on the soap you are making?

43128592_351791288896920_7990691258689388544_n.jpg

The initial hardness of a soap is related to the saturated fat in a product -- that's the sum of the lauric, myristic, stearic and palmitic acids as soapcalc defines it. (edited -- I forgot to include stearic and palmitic)

Canola doesn't have much saturated fat, no matter whether it's low, mid, or high oleic canola. That means no matter which version you use, it's not going to change the "hardness number" much. In other words, a soap that contains a high % of any type of canola may be softer than you'd like at the time of unmolding.

The different versions of canola might affect the long-term hardness of a soap, however. I suspect high oleic canola may make a harder soap after cure than a low oleic canola, just as a 100% olive oil soap becomes rock hard during cure. That's just a guess on my part, however. I have made a few high oleic soaps (70% HO sunflower, 100% olive, etc.), but I've not made soap that's high in polyunsaturated fats to compare.

There are a few threads here and there that discuss anti-foaming agents and whether they affect soap. Speaking from memory, the consensus was there is no reason to be concerned.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back