Yellow soap and calendula petals

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that, Micro. I make calendula 100% olive oil castile soap (unscented) for babies and cancer patients going through chemo/radiation.

Just wanted to let y'all know that Micro (Microworldrepairs) ended up being a spammer. Besides having 3 spammy links in his siggie, he copied/pasted the info on calendula into his post word for word straight from the Nature'sGardenCandles website. He has since been shown the exit door.

IrishLass :)

Tea vs. Infused Oil: I've yet to find a tea that doesn't turn brown when soaped. You'll get a much better yellow if you infuse your calendula petals in oil. If you're in a hurry, you can do the infusion range top. Add the petals to warm oil and keep the pan just below simmer for 2-3 hours -- until you get the depth of color you want.

Hi zany - or anyone who can help!!! getting myself in a bit of a muddle and just wondered what ratio you'd suggest for the calendula heat infusion? I wasn't sure whether my 2g calendula in 2pt water should simply be substituted - ie water for OO, which is my main oil in my recipe, or whether it should be more like my turmeric heat infusion ration.... but then I put 41 g into 283 g OO which seems like a lot of calendula petals!!! LOL Suggestions for a starting block would be really appreciated.

I have got a starting point for the amount of annatto seeds from Seawolfe so I will have a play with them tomorrow...todays playtime had to be abandoned as the day has slipped through my fingers too quickly!!

Thanks for any help
Debs

Hiya Debs,

I'm sure someone will come along with exact measures. Since those petals are so light, it's hard for me to gauge how much you need by weight. So, I would take enough petals to cover the bottom of a stainless steel frying pan and cover the petals with enough oil to reach at least an inch above. It would be helpful if you could weigh the petals before adding the (weighed) oil and then you will know how much to use the next time. Remember that once you strain the petals out, you're left with approx 1/3 less oil due to absorption by the very dry petals, so be sure to add enough to get the amount you need.

HTH :bunny:

When I do heat infusion, I use a Mason Jar, fill & cover as mentioned by Zany, but in the Jar, not a pan. Then I put the jar into a small sauce pan, fill the pan about half full with water and bring it to a simmer. If you've ever canned, you probably know what I mean. This uses less oil and clean-up is easier IMO.

Back