Calendula petal colour differences?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMack

Reaction score
I bought half a dozen calendula plants this spring in the hopes of harvesting the petals to try and colour soap naturally and they have surpassed what I hoped for. It’s awesome and they’re gorgeous. I have both orange and yellow petals and my question is do they colour the soap the colour of the petals, or is it irrelevant? I had an idea to use the orange for a bergamot and cedar wood fragrance and the yellow for lemongrass but shan’t bother separating them if it makes no difference

I think you would have to use the petals to infuse your oil. I don't know if the color would survive the saponification process. However this is what Mueller Lane Soap says,

Calendula Flower PowderButtery Yellow1 teaspoon to 14-16 oz of soap at trace. OR infuse about 4 oz Calendula powder with 64 oz Olive Oil in crock pot on low heat.

Source: Muller Lane Farm ~ Natural Soap Colors

thank you, but do yellow petals colour the soap yellow and orange petals colour the soap orange? I can of course test it out but was hoping someone more experienced many know

Back