Yellow base colour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have done a few soaps now some better than others. Have discovered never use epson salt in recipe. Very hard bar and very brittle. Just cut after 24 hrs and was a bit brittle. Lesson to self never use Epson salts.
But anyway I digress did a soap today with 40% olive oil and base soap very yellow. Put in violet liquid soap colour and colour became a dirty poohy brown colour. Will all olive oil soaps do this, will the yellow colour turn whitish so then the violet colour will come through or will colour stay poohy. Sorry no pictures:headbanging:

It depends on what you used for colorants. Some colors are made especially for cold process soap and will not morph. Colorants made for M&P or bath salts will morph.
Some purples do not stay true to color.

Did you use extra virgin olive oil? If so then it will always make yellowish soap. If you use plain jane OO, it will be whiter.

In soap I did before this one used micas but they morphed- green in some spots that were blue and some orange where it was pink, ont too bad just here and there mostily stayed blue and pink well for now anyway.
I'm pretty sure they are for cold process (bought from Aussie Soap Supplies) so not sure why morphed. Also have liquid colours which is the violet I used. Could I put titanium dioxide to turn white and then colour,

No used olive oil which I think is a mixture of extra virgin and olive oil. Have used pomance oil and I feel does look just as yellow out of tin but stick blends whiter i think..

My 100% Olive Oil soaps that I don't add colorant to, become white pretty quickly. I use regular OO and sometimes I use 50% pomace with the regular OO. Pomace is darker out of bottle, but the Castile I made with 50% pomace this past January is very very white right now. No colorant added.

You need to use soap stable colorants. If they are not made for soap they are not safe to use. I highly recommend Nurture Soap Supplies or TKB Trading. The have High PH tested micas that work amazingly!

I just had a look on Aussie Soap's web page. From your description, it sounds like you used their Ultramarine Violet liquid? If so, it is CP-stable, so no worries on that account. :thumbup:

Their page says that this particular liquid colorant is a pigment dispersion, which tells me that it is powdered Ultramarine Violet dispersed in some type of liquid- either water or glycerin is my best guess. I myself use powdered ultramarine violet as my go-to purple and I disperse it in glycerin before adding it to my soap. It makes for a beautiful purple or lavender color, but I've found that one needs to make sure to use enough of it in order to get it to come through good and true in your soap. If it helps, I tend to need to use two to three times as much of the UM Violet as I do of any of my other colorants. If I use too little, it turns grey or greyish-tan in my yellow soap base, unless I add TD to the oils, which definitely helps.

IrishLass :)

Sometimes purple comes out after few days. It reacts funby with NaOH.

How old is the soap, give it few days and see how it tirns out.

I've just made some puke coloured soap today. Used hot pink mica, but it turned into yucky orange brown.

Thanks Irish lass and Fuzz Juzz. I am getting the feeling that colouring soaps is a bit of an art form as colour you put in is not always the colour in two or three days or in a week or two. Will need to keep very good notes on colour used with what recipe
etc

Thanks Irish lass and Fuzz Juzz. I am getting the feeling that colouring soaps is a bit of an art form as colour you put in is not always the colour in two or three days or in a week or two. Will need to keep very good notes on colour used with what recipe
etc

Truer words were never spoken.

Used a "really red" mica with enough mica to truly saturate the soap batter. Made the soap, soap was "really red" for 8 weeks. Then it morphed to hot pink.

Used the same mica in much lower concentration, soap was hot pink for 6 weeks, then morphed to "really red".

SMH

Back