Yeay, Salt Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseCreek

Reaction score
Bit the bullet and gave it a try. I did a coconut oil, sunflower, avocado, and castor recipe with 15% SF. Did 50% salt. I was just playing with the recipe, so we'll see what happens lol. I figured since I was testing, I'd go all out. Tested 5 new fragrances and 3 new colors. The thing I was most surprised about was how much time I had to work. The leather/beau Brummel mix set up the fastest, and I predict I can unmold it tonight. The rest... none of them were setting up any faster than my normal soap recipe, lol. The green is Lorne Green from mad oils, the purple is their you're turning violet, violet, the blue is their key west blue, the copper is their Satin Penny. The last time I used the purple, it faded into Grey, so we'll see what happens this time.
I also tested their South Beach FO, which smells am going OOB. I hope it sticks. No A with it as far as I can tell, even with the salt.

Here is a pick of the samples. The Green would need about double the mica that the blue does for a vibrant color. The purple also.

2014-12-06_19.47.58.jpg

Congrats, I love making salt bars and also haven't found them to move any faster then regular soap. I'm really intrigued by the satin penny bars and the blue is really nice too.

And why is that?

A few reasons for me.

Now you get to play with another additive. How much salt, what kinds of salt, mixtures of salt.

Right now my base salt recipe is 75% CO, with 5% castor. That leaves me 20% to play with different oils and see what effect they have on the soap. It gives you a base, where you can compare the differences in small changes of oils. The batch I made today is the base, plus 15% avocado oil and 5% mango butter.

Superfat numbers can mean a lot in soap bars. The first one I made I didn't change the normal 6% SF number. Just threw in that coconut and (had to look it up), 10% OO and mixed it. It was super drying. My base now was at 18%, until I started using CM in the salt soaps. From my calculation I drop the recipe SF down to 14 and get around 5.5 from the CM. It makes a great salt bar btw.

So tons of stuff to play with, but for me the real addiction is just that I love using salt bars. My introduction to salt bars was a couple of years back when I bought one at a gift shop down at the beach. Now salt bars is pretty much what I use in the shower every time, unless I'm testing out a new soap.

They all look wonderful! I hope to be making some salt bars again soon, but I am waiting on a mold I ordered to make individual bars. I sometimes make soap later in the evening, and then I'm too tired to wait to unmold them....can't do that with salt bars.

Nice post - I've got the lorne green from MO, but haven't tried it yet. I've now made a mental note to up the amount I normally would for the effect I'm usually after. I had good luck with their "You're turning violet, Violet", but I used A LOT of it. Your Key West Blue and Satin Penny came out exactly like mine if I use a medium amount of mica. That Key West will also turn a really cool nordic-y sky blue if you take a light amount, throw in a little TD and prevent gelling. Their peacock blue is just lovely if you get a chance to try that one out.

I really love the micas from Mad Oils - I'll post some samples after the holidays when the jolly guy is bringing me a new batch for my stocking!

Nice post - I've got the lorne green from MO, but haven't tried it yet. I've now made a mental note to up the amount I normally would for the effect I'm usually after. I had good luck with their "You're turning violet, Violet", but I used A LOT of it. Your Key West Blue and Satin Penny came out exactly like mine if I use a medium amount of mica. That Key West will also turn a really cool nordic-y sky blue if you take a light amount, throw in a little TD and prevent gelling. Their peacock blue is just lovely if you get a chance to try that one out.

I really love the micas from Mad Oils - I'll post some samples after the holidays when the jolly guy is bringing me a new batch for my stocking!

That Lorne Green came from one "mini scoop" (the ones you can get from various suppliers), which I think are like 1/4 tsp. It was in approx 7 oz of soap and 3.5 oz of salt.
I have the peacock blue also and love it! I also have one of the oranges that I really like also.
I think my problem with the YTVV is I just didn't use enough, hopefully this one holds just fine. :)

So I unmolded these bad boys when I got home from work. I should have popped a few of them in the freezer as they stuck a bit, but I had the time and I didn't care lol. They are just for us.

The colors are all pretty much the same. The cool water (blue) the unscented (purple) and the black tie affair were a little soon on the unmolds, but not bad. Still confused as to why they didn't set up crazy fast. So there is a pic of everything, a close up of the satin penny because it's so sparkly in person, and a close up of one of the pink sugar I threw a little glitter on that was also a MO sample. Fwiw I still don't like glitter on soap lol. The Pink sugar scent is kind of gone today, we'll see if it comes back, lol.
The South Beach fo smells soon good!

20141207_204926_PerfectlyClear.jpg

PC_20141207_205129_PerfectlyClear.jpg

PC_20141207_205315_PerfectlyClear.jpg

Bit the bullet and gave it a try. I did a coconut oil, sunflower, avocado, and castor recipe with 15% SF. Did 50% salt. I was just playing with the recipe, so we'll see what happens lol. I figured since I was testing, I'd go all out. Tested 5 new fragrances and 3 new colors. The thing I was most surprised about was how much time I had to work. The leather/beau Brummel mix set up the fastest, and I predict I can unmold it tonight. The rest... none of them were setting up any faster than my normal soap recipe, lol. The green is Lorne Green from mad oils, the purple is their you're turning violet, violet, the blue is their key west blue, the copper is their Satin Penny. The last time I used the purple, it faded into Grey, so we'll see what happens this time.
I also tested their South Beach FO, which smells am going OOB. I hope it sticks. No A with it as far as I can tell, even with the salt.

Here is a pick of the samples. The Green would need about double the mica that the blue does for a vibrant color. The purple also.

Very nice! :-o

Back