Xanthan Gum in Solid Bar Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
I have enjoyed the thickening effects of xanthan gum in liquid soap. But why doesn't anyone speak about its use in solid soap bars? Surely it can be added at roughly 1% of oil in the oil phase, just like any puree.

However, what are the implications of adding it? For instance, since it is a humectant, would it be undesirable in terms of drawing and keeping moisture within the soap? As per usual, I was feeling experimental and added some to one of 2 divisions I made of some soap that I made on 11th September 2020. We have been experiencing very high humidity lately. My non-xanthan soap which also has 10% brine is sweating very lightly with a few shiney spots of dampness while the xanthan version is not sweating at all. What does this mean? What are the implications of this?

Happy for any other thoughts, experiences, etc

I agree with Shunt - what would be the purpose of adding it? It isn't needed as a thickening agent, as bar soap will naturally be hard, and I'm not sure it would provide any additional hardness. I rather think that it's purpose as a humectant would counteract that. As stated, soap naturally creates glycerin which is a humectant, I think adding additional ingredients that act as humectants would make the soap softer.

Latest posts

Back