would this recipe suit a salt bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopyloop

Reaction score
Hi! I'm thinking making my first sea salt bar. So, say I have this recipe:
Coconut Oil, 76 deg
Cocoa Butter
Avocado Oil
Castor Oil
Olive Oil
Shea Butter

Do I just superfat at 15-20% and add , say, 75% salt?

That won't work for a salt bar. You need at least 80% coconut oil otherwise it won't lather at all. Soap can't lather in salt water unless there is a large percent of coconut oil.
I use 100% coconut oil SF 20%, add 50%-75% salt

Well, I haven't made salt bars yet myself, but from what I understand you want a very high proportion of coconut oil (75-100%) for the soap to lather with a high amount of salt.

I use 80% coconut oil and the rest castor and shea. I use about 100% salt to oils. I also use a number of different salts. Don't know if they really impart a difference, but great label appeal, and, in my mind, they really do impart different qualities, and I love them all :) I superfat at 20%. Love, love, love these. So much that although I test all my other soaps in the shower, the salts are my favorites and pretty much my everyday go-to's. I also add tussah silk, sugar to boost the lather, some kind of clay, EOs - and other additives depending on my mood and the recipe :)

Last edited:
I use 80% coconut oil and the rest castor and shea. I use about 100% salt to oils. I also use a number of different salts. Don't know if they really impart a difference, but great label appeal, and, in my mind, they really do impart different qualities, and I love them all :) I superfat at 20%. Love, love, love these. So much that although I test all my other soaps in the shower, the salts are my favorites and pretty much my everyday go-to's. I also add tussah silk, sugar to boost the lather, some kind of clay, EOs - and other additives depending on my mood and the recipe :)

Hi. Can you tell me Please how much and how you add the sugar? Also, what types of salts do you use?
I have some white and green French clays... would they not make for a drying effect? (I have hard water as it is):(

I am not paillo but I add about 2 tsp. of sugar ppo to the water and stir until dissolved. Then I add the lye. Make sure the sugar is all dissolved before adding the lye.

70% Coconut oil, 8% castor 22% of soft oils will 100% fine salt will make a fantastic salt bar with a nice creamy lather. I never go over 8% castor because to much castor will make a sticky bar of soap. If you decide to use medium salt I do not recommed using it as the full salt. You can end up with some very sharp salt in your soap. This is a picture of my Kelpie Salt bar that has a mix with Dead Sea Salt, although I do not recommed using dead sea salt. It took me 3 years to finally get the right mix of DDS that would not leave a sticky, waxy non lathering salt bar.
IMG_0113_zps836086fb.jpg

I am another salt bar lover....I use 80% Coconut Oil, 10% Avocado, 5% Castor and 5% Shea Butter. I use 75% salt with added tussah silk and 20% superfat. They are my all time favorite to use. I wish I could convert more customer to use them too.

I really do get it, honestly!:banghead:

:razz: Are you sure? I'd be happy to bring it to you at least one more time :mrgreen:

I use non iodized fine table salt for the bulk, but I like to decorate my salt soaps with coarse sea salt (dyed with food colorants) or Himalayan salt.
IMO clays used in small amounts for coloring aren't drying in soap. They just add a nice bit of slip.

Lurking here. A salt bar is my next project. I have some bath salts and some Himalayan pink salt. The Himalayan salt is in pretty big granules. I'm wondering if I should grind it up so it won't be scratchy?

Last edited:
Lurking here. A salt bar is my next project. I have some bath salts and some Himalayan pink salt. The Himalayan salt is in pretty big granules. I'm wondering if I should grind it up so it won't be scratchy?

Grinding up the salt usually makes it sharp unless you grind it very fine and sift it. In my opinion that is way to large for salt bars. Fine Himalayan for San Francisco Salt Co works perfect. Fine grain himalayan, gray salt etc is not as fine as table salt. Brazilian Pearl Salt works fantastic in salt bars but is extremely hard to find now. I am down to my last 5lbs of my pearl salt :cry:

Last edited:
Ah, ok, got it! Asked about rice bran because I happen to have it and would like to use it.

also, is this ok?

Water as percent of oil weight 38 %
Super Fat/Discount 20 %

Next question is, do I wrap up the mould to gel or it doesn't matter? I understand I must cut very soon or it hardens beyond repair....

Last edited:
Ah, ok, got it! Asked about rice bran because I happen to have it and would like to use it.

also, is this ok?

Water as percent of oil weight 38 %
Super Fat/Discount 20 %

Next question is, do I wrap up the mould to gel or it doesn't matter? I understand I must cut very soon or it hardens beyond repair....

Some put them in the oven at 170 degrees, I do not. I let mine sit out uncovered and cut in 45-60 minutes. Best to wear gloves, lol, I don't! Salt bars set up quite fast. Just keep a close check when cool enough to handle cut them or they will crumble if they get to hard. Silicone molds with individual cavities work great for salt bars. Yes, full water is fine, so yours may not set quite as quick as mine and 20% superfat is good. Rice bran will add a nice emollient factor to your soap and it contains quite a bit of vitamin e

Latest posts

Back