Would this qualify as a conditioning bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yourstruly76

Reaction score
I am brand spankin' new at this and I have a question. I've been playing with the soapcalc and I was wondering... I came up with a bar I'd like to use as a shampoo bar (tweaked a recipe from an experienced soaper to make it my own) but I was wondering if you could make a conditioning bar. I mainly would like to try this for my 2 year old since she has sensitive skin and her hair is always so dry and easily gets matted and a snarled mess.
If I have a recipe as follows below, will this just be a soft mess that will leave her hair greasy and be better off as a lotion bar? And if it is better as a lotion bar (mind you I've never attempted to make one :shock: ) would I need a preservative? How could I make it harder without adding too much bubbly and taking away from the conditioning factor?

Here's the recipe for the conditioning bar:

Castor Oil 9%
Cocoa Butter 14%
Olive Oil 27%
Apricot Kernal 14%
Palm 25%
Lard 11%
**edited to say I forgot ... Water as % of Oils = 38
Lye Concentration = 25.64%
Water: Lye Ratio = 2.8996:1
Superfat/Discount = 5%

Still reading up on my chemistry so I'm not sure myself what would happen and I don't want to waste time or money so if anyone would indulge me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Maybe I wasn't clear enough to answer.
I have a shampoo bar recipe. I am wondering if I can make a separate bar with the above oils so that it is more like a conditioner that will only have properties of conditioning/moisturizing that I can rinse lightly after I've shampooed with the other bar. Or am I better off just making a conditioner? Any ideas? I've just started making cp soap and I'm not afraid to experiment but I don't want to waste time or money either.

If you are using lye then it is not a lotion bar. Lotion bars are sort of like lip balm, they melt when used, so they are very different from soap.

As to whether your recipe would work as a conditioner, I don't know. I am fairly new at this myself.

Zenobiah-
Yea duh, huh? :oops: That does make sense. Don't know why I didn't think about that! LOL

Well, I may try to do a very small batch and see how it goes.

I'm confused. Are you wondering if (A) you can use those oils without lye as a solid conditioner? Or are you wondering if (B) that recipe as a soap will be conditioning enough to use as a conditioning shampoo?

If (A) - I doubt it. It won't rinse out and you will end up with greasy hair big time

If (B) - I doubt it. For starters, soap is not particularly friendly to hair for the most part. The high pH raises the cuticle roughening the strands and the soap tends to chelate hard water chemicals and deposit them on the hair as soap scum. Leaving one with dry, rough, sticky hair. At least for many folks. Apparently there are some who like it. A vinegar rinse helps somewhat.

And as a soap bar that's not a particularly "conditioning" formula anyway. Nice but not super high.

Back