would like to knwo the best recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unusualfinds

Reaction score
Hi
Im new to soap making and have collected many recipes, all are so different i wa just wondering what it the best recipes?
I noticed the basic is
coconut-olive-palm and then sometime add a little bit if it is shea soap like 5% or jojoba soap 5%.
I was wondering if you added more like 50% shea then it would be the best shea soap recipe? like if you wanted a jojoba soap 50% jaojojba? i was thinking of gettring big batch recipes and selling the soap so help would be much appreciated thanks Unusual finds

There really is no "best recipe" other than the ones you spend the time tweaking and testing to suit your particular needs and preferences. A good place to start is the Miller Soap site: http://www.millersoap.com/ and then head to SoapCalc: http://soapcalc.net/ and start working on what you think you want to make. The numbers on SoapCalc aren't a hard and fast "rule", they're more of a guideline to be considered but not necessarily taken as the last word, and it's a very useful tool as far as figuring out what each oil and butter brings to the table in your soaps.

For a clear and visual idea of how certain oils and butters behave in soaps, you can't beat the single-oil soaps page: http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm# . It'll give you an idea of which oils and butters hold up in large amounts over time and which go rancid, the qualities they add to soap, etc.

What's best for me might not be best for you.

So you just have to pick a recipe and start there. Modify depending on what you are wanting...less drying, more bubbles...etc.

unusualfinds said:
Hi
Im new to soap making and have collected many recipes, all are so different i wa just wondering what it the best recipes?
I noticed the basic is
coconut-olive-palm and then sometime add a little bit if it is shea soap like 5% or jojoba soap 5%.
I was wondering if you added more like 50% shea then it would be the best shea soap recipe? like if you wanted a jojoba soap 50% jaojojba? i was thinking of gettring big batch recipes and selling the soap so help would be much appreciated thanks Unusual finds

you are very far from selling. this is not a craft that you start doing and then selling right away. there are many things that you need to have under your belt before you even think about selling...

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:23 pm Post subject: Are you ready to sell your soap?
Below is a post I have copied and pasted here and marked as a sticky. This comes up so often and Mandolyn was so point on when she wrote this a few months back. I am sure we will refer to this info often. All mods & admin support this well fomulated and insigntful post. Thanks Mandolyn!

"This is a generic thing I've been posting when people are considering selling soap. There's a lot to consider. I suggest soapmakers wait a year at least before selling. It's not meant to be discouraging or anything, but will hopefully give you an idea of all that selling entails.

What are your state & local regs on selling? You'll need a tax ID. Do city zoning laws forbid you from manufacturing in your home? Do you have liability insurance? Some venues require vendors to carry their own liability insurance. You should have it anyway to cover your own assets. Do you need to register as a business with your city, county and or state? Even if you're not required to, you should, in order to protect your personal assets in case of a law suit. Will manufacturing in your home make your homeowner's insurance null & void?

How long have you been making soap & B&B products, & how long have you been testing them? Do you know what your products are like a year down the road? Do you know what the shelf-life is of each of your products? Are you well-educated on INCI labelling & cosmetic regs? If someone's child has an allergic reaction to one of your products & the parents decide to file suit what will you do? Do you have insurance to cover that?

Do you have bookkeeping skills, & can you use accounting software? Will you do your own business taxes or can you afford to have someone else do your business taxes for you?

Consider your responsibility for your products. Consider how many people can come in contact with your products. Your responisibility grows exponentially. It's not just the person who purchased your, say soap. It's everyone who comes in contact with it - the person who purchased, their immediate family, friends of each family member, the extended family members who come to visit. Are you ready for that level of responsibility for what you create?

Many times I have had people buy soap & say it's too pretty to use. People will use your soap in their drawers as sachets, or leave them on the bathroom counter for month & months just to enjoy the scent. Sometimes they stash them away for months to give as gifts. The question then is, "What will your soap be like in 6 months or 8 months or a year? If you haven't waited it out, you don't know.

I purchased a competitor's soap at our local coop. In less than 6 months it smelled rancid, & I tossed it. That angered me:
1. I wasted my money
2. That handcrafted soap was a reflection on the entire handcrafted soapmaking community. Are her customers going to assume that all handcrafted soaps smell funky after a few months?!!

You need to know all the regs. What pushes your soap from soap into the "cosmetic" class & what does that mean as far as cosmetic regs? What pushes your lotion or cream into the drug arena, & what are the regs regarding that?

After you've gotten all that under your belt, what are your state & local regs on selling? You'll need a tax ID. Do city zoning laws forbid you from manufacturing in your home? You'll need liability insurance & that's NOT cheap! Will manufacturing in your make your homeowner's insurance null & void?

These are only a handfull of things to consider. You have a long learning curve ahead of you. You need to learn to formulate & test your formulas. That means researching each ingredient you plan to use - oils, butters, scenting materials (FO's, EO's), & research any additives you plan to use to avoid those that are known sensitisors, or outright harmful to use. While researching, you'll need to figure out which info is reliable & which isn't.

You'll need to learn when to use preservatives & which one you need for each type of product you make. Your lotions & creams should be tested to make sure the preservative you chose is really working.

Then, there's packaging & labelling. You'll need to learn the proper way to label your products using INCI nomenclature.

So, I don't mean to sound discouraging, & as you already know, there's a lot to consider before selling. I just like to put that out there for other new people to see & consider.

Lots of people rush into selling without having all their ducks in a row, or even caring to try to. I'm just passing along what I've learned & what other soapmakers shared with me in the beginning when I wanted to sell right away.

The added benefit of waiting a year is that when you sell, you'll feel confident talking to your customers about your products, & you'll have good sound info to give them based on all the research & testing you did through that year."

shea butter

Okay will i noticed some for example i want to make shea butter soap . some recipes call it shea butter but only use 5%. It seems like it should be alot higher to be called shea butter soap. I think that is where i'm unsure on how to make a nice shea butter soap that the customer will feel justified in paying more for it. I guess i will have to find a base recipe and increase the shea butter and play with it . it will take awhile to find the perfect amount being the soaps take a few weeks to dry :)
I will check those sites, thanks. Does anyone know of recipes in larger batch? I have tried the miller page and mades some nice soap but like yous have said i need to weak them. thank Unusual finds

Hi, yes that for the info on selling soap. I'm a business and have been one for
over 15 years and have done it all by the law and have insurance on other products i carry. Safe is the only way to go thanks Unusual finds

Re: shea butter

unusualfinds said:
Okay will i noticed some for example i want to make shea butter soap . some recipes call it shea butter but only use 5%. It seems like it should be alot higher to be called shea butter soap. I think that is where i'm unsure on how to make a nice shea butter soap that the customer will feel justified in paying more for it. I guess i will have to find a base recipe and increase the shea butter and play with it . it will take awhile to find the perfect amount being the soaps take a few weeks to dry :)
I will check those sites, thanks. Does anyone know of recipes in larger batch? I have tried the miller page and mades some nice soap but like yous have said i need to weak them. thank Unusual finds
A nice formula with 5% shea butter would be lovely and yes, you can call it shea butter soap. The shea would be above 1%.

unusualfinds said:
Hi, yes that for the info on selling soap. I'm a business and have been one for
over 15 years and have done it all by the law and have insurance on other products i carry. Safe is the only way to go thanks Unusual finds

Welcome to the board :)! What they are getting at is, you need to know the ins and outs of soapmaking before selling. Reading about it and doing it are two very different things. You said you are new to it. It is not about owning a business with different products :).

And to be frank, while we share ideas, experiences, and some recipes - many of us aren't really interested in giving out our best recipes.

Besides, learning by doing is a good thing.

So read what you can find here and elsewhere, but you have to do the work yourself - just as we did.

I'm a noob to soap making and I've spent a lot of time googling, and trust me, it is so much better for you to learn the bare bones rather than just collect recipes, then the recipes you do find and design will mean more to you.

hi, yes i'm new to the soap making this year.
i was just saying as for the business part of it i have it all down pat-"bookkeeping -What are your state & local regs on selling? You'll need a tax ID. Do city zoning laws forbid you from manufacturing in your home? Do you have liability insurance? Some venues require vendors to carry their own liability insurance. You should have it anyway to cover your own assets. Do you need to register as a business with your city, county and or state? Even if you're not required to, you should, in order to protect your personal assets in case of a law suit. Will manufacturing in your home make your homeowner's insurance null & void?"
as for the perfect recipes not yet. I went to aromatherapy and soap making courses and made wonderful products. (i have a few very nice recipes :) with one being of my favorite hemp soap recipes)
I think i will start with 5% shea to a recipe of equal coconut-palm and olive and go from there :)
maybe next batch increase it alittle until a desired softness. I also read if you add silk it will make it softer so i have never tried silk either.

Hi, was not sure on how to reply but i think I may have figuredit out. I will difinetly work on each one and see what I come up with. The millersoap page is wonderful. It is so wonderful that a site offers all these recipes and information online. The soap calc is handy. I just love the
http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm# site and so will anyone else that is learning and may not have seen it
thanks again
TessV said:
There really is no "best recipe" other than the ones you spend the time tweaking and testing to suit your particular needs and preferences. A good place to start is the Miller Soap site: http://www.millersoap.com/ and then head to SoapCalc: http://soapcalc.net/ and start working on what you think you want to make. The numbers on SoapCalc aren't a hard and fast "rule", they're more of a guideline to be considered but not necessarily taken as the last word, and it's a very useful tool as far as figuring out what each oil and butter brings to the table in your soaps.

For a clear and visual idea of how certain oils and butters behave in soaps, you can't beat the single-oil soaps page: http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm# . It'll give you an idea of which oils and butters hold up in large amounts over time and which go rancid, the qualities they add to soap, etc.

TessV said:

Just wondering when i look at the zen soap single oil page I would be right to assume each soap was made with one oil correct. that is interesting.

Okay will i noticed some for example i want to make shea butter soap . some recipes call it shea butter but only use 5%. It seems like it should be alot higher to be called shea butter soap. I think that is where i'm unsure on how to make a nice shea butter soap that the customer will feel justified in paying more for it.

Do you feel justified buying strawberry icecream that only contain 5% strawberries?

I'm no expert, but my impression is that too much shea (or any hard butter) will inhibit the lather. You will get lather but it will be more like lotion than bubbles.

And yes, for the zensoaps single oil experiment, each bar of soap was made with a single oil.

I use shea at 5%.
I don't call it shea butter soap, but I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that.

I also use shea at 25% (don't call this shea butter soap either, but that's just me) and because it's balanced with a big hit of coconut oil I get copious lather.

It's all about balance.

Latest posts

Back