Workin on a shampoo bar recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
tweeking with other recipes I've collected. Seems like allot of ingredients but my numbers look pretty good. Any advice for this or in general would be appreciated. This is what I got together.

Olive Oil 25%
Coconut 20%
Castor Oil 20%
Sunflower Oil 10%
Coaco Butter 10%
Shea Butter 10%
Almond Oil 5%

Thanks for any tips you got.

Personally, I like coconut oil in shampoo bars. My hair gets oily and I find the coconut oil helps. I'm not sure if others care for it that much as it can make hair overly dry.

I like to use avocado oil or butter in my shampoo recipes. I like the oil properties for hair.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Soap Making mobile app

The castor oil seems quite high - I use 15% in my shampoo bar, which has 30% CO and 10% shea ..... (Obviously if you have sensitive skin, you may want to use less CO, but I like a good lather in my shampoo and I want my hair to feel properly clean). I probably wouldn't use 10% cocoa butter because it is comedogenic (so can cause blackheads/spots), so I generally stick to 5% for my winter soaps, and leave it out of my shampoo bar altogether.
If you wanted to reduce the number of oils you're planning to use, you could substitute the sunflower and almond oils with OO (push that up to 40%) - it's great on the hair. And sunflower oil does have a reputation for causing DOS. Although I've used up to 15% without any problems so far.
You didn't mention what SF you were planning to use, but I'd suggest around 3-4%, because you don't really want to be left with unsaponified oils on your hair.
Other than that, I'd suggest that whatever recipe you start with, that you make a small test batch. Shampoo bars aren't for everyone, and the way they work varies a lot between different hair types, and with the hardness of the water in your area. So the only way to know whether a recipe is right for you is to try it ..... and then make adjustments in future batches.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Latest posts

Back