Wood Pour attempt #3

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Also an Oatmeal Honey soap, with colloidal oatmeal and honey (and a little salt) cooked and blended and then frozen and used for half liquid. The lye was first dissolved with Aloe Vera Juice, but those cubes were frozen too, so my lye mixture was 85°f once everything thawed. I warmed up my oils to compensate, but still ended up soaping around 100°f, which terrified me slightly because I was using 3% beeswax and 25% Shea butter, and false trace was why my first attempt failed.
I was almost out of WSPs Lavender Woods and Honey, so I used BB Woodland Elves. The latter accelerates, which I wanted because I wanted at least medium trace, and I knew from previous attempts the pour doesn't take long for a 1lb log. But, I was too cautious about false trace, so the mixture was at medium trace when I separated it for colors, and thick trace during the pour. The batter was setting up so quickly, each time I restriped the batter and continued pouring, it would slide over the top of the batter I had just poured. Which is cool, and I'll keep this in mind for another design, but it's not really a wood pour. So, I'll have to try again some other time. Anyways, here's the cut and beveled 3rd, and I also took a pic with my unbeveled 2nd attempt for comparison. My technique is not quite there, but it's getting better. The 1lb log gives me 4 bars, and 2nd attempt was cut into fairly small bars.
All attempts used glow in the dark pigment in part of the batch, but my camera can't capture it, so you'll just have to take my word for it that it glows and looks awesome. Also, the fragrance combo is amazing!
For reference, HERE is a YT video by Lisa from I Dream in Soap demonstrating a Wood Pour.

Attachments

• IMG_20201116_205333.jpg
    IMG_20201116_205333.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20201116_210438.jpg
    IMG_20201116_210438.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20201116_211253.jpg
    IMG_20201116_211253.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 23
Looking good!

I tried to get wood grain looking soap using newbie's Ribbon Pour (Link) and never did quite get the results I was after. One day I will go back to it and try again.

ETA: I love how she has a color swatch soap for each of her colorants all in little disks of soap that she pulls out to choose her color combos!

Looking good!

I tried to get wood grain looking soap using newbie's Ribbon Pour (Link) and never did quite get the results I was after. One day I will go back to it and try again.

ETA: I love how she has a color swatch soap for each of her colorants all in little disks of soap that she pulls out to choose her color combos!
I love her little color disks as well! I'm still shuffling additives and oils in my recipes like cards in a game, but if I ever settle down, I aspire to her level of organization.

Back