wine soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanna

Reaction score
I have a couple of half bottles of white wine (we didn't care for - too dry) in my fridge. Thinking maybe that would be a good ingredient for soap. My niece is getting married in April and I would love to put a variety of homemade soaps in a basket for her wedding shower.

Does anyone have any input about using wine in soap. In my "travels" around the internet, I'm gathering that I need to boil it to release the alcohol, then freeze it to slushy first before adding the lye.

What scents would work well with white wine or will the scent from the wine come through at all?

I would welcome your input on this. Thanks.
Jeanna

I seriously doubt that any scent will come through....if any does, it probably won't last.

I doubt you would have to boil it and freeze it.....the lye reaction will probably cook off any alcohol, and wine is not that high in sugar....I would try a small batch and just use it as your lye solution before I went to all that trouble.

As far as fragrance oils.....I believe Brambleberry and a few other have scents like Merlot....that would be lovely. Try saveonscents too. :)

Edited to add: How about this?? http://www.saveonscents.com/product_inf ... cts_id/952

Try to do a search on this forum...others have done it. I do believe they had to boil it down to remove the alcohol, if not, the soap will seize.... I have never done it, but this is what I have read...

Mike is right, the scent is light then fades quickly. But the bubbles, they make it so worth it! IMHO

I boil/reduce the wine down to a syrup, let it cool and add at trace.

Deda said:
Mike is right, the scent is light then fades quickly. But the bubbles, they make it so worth it! IMHO

I boil/reduce the wine down to a syrup, let it cool and add at trace.

Yes, this - I did it with a Cabernet, reduced 1/2-3/4 of a bottle of Cabernet down to a few tablespoons of very rich syrup. I added it at trace to the part I was swirling. It gave a VERY nice color to the soap and was just lovely. It's curing right now but the piece I tested lathered beautifully.

Lil Outlaws said:
reduced 1/2-3/4 of a bottle
Hmmm I reduced a 750ml bottle and got distracted and now I have only 68ml left :oops: :lol: I think I will have to make a tiny batch to see the results. I had mentioned to a few customers about trying a wine soap and they are waiting eagerly....I better get soaping hehehe

This is one I want to try as well -
writelist.gif

I used a raspberry wine, boiled it and used it in place of my water.

I don't know if you have to boil it or not, but I did anyway. I didn't get much color from it, though.

I like the idea of a syrup but I don't have any wine lying around that I don't like right now.

Boil it! Boil it! :D

I made some a few weeks ago, and I thought that the alcohol would not be an issue. Don't know it was indeed the alcohol that was problematic, but it ended up being a separated and semi-seized batch. I ended up re-batching it, and it's soap now. There's a thread on here somewhere about someone else's adventures in wine soap. Anyhow, if I were to do it again, I would still use wine in place of water, but I would simmer it a little bit first.

As far as scent goes, there is something winey about this soap. I used Lavender EO, but it doesn't really smell like lavender. It doesn't smell like wine either. It smells maybe like grape. It'd odd. At first I didn't like the smell, because it wasn't what I expected and I couldn't place it, but once I decided it was grapey, I liked it better. I'm weird that way. :)

Gobbler's Run said:
[quote="Lil Outlaws":xjxubcoa]reduced 1/2-3/4 of a bottle
Hmmm I reduced a 750ml bottle and got distracted and now I have only 68ml left :oops: :lol: I think I will have to make a tiny batch to see the results. I had mentioned to a few customers about trying a wine soap and they are waiting eagerly....I better get soaping hehehe[/quote:xjxubcoa]

I didn't have much left afterward - it was like a small oxy-clean scoop (2-4TBS maybe, not much at all). I stuck it in the freezer so it wouldn't go icky while I dawdled on finally making the soap and then stirred it in cold at trace. It imparted A LOT of color. My swirl is super dark. I'll get pics with my phone later, DS broke my camera ( :cry: ) last week..

To get rid of the alcohol ( and there will be some if not a lot) you will need to reduce the wine at least by half. But do this "very" slowly, on low heat on the stove. Then freeze. If you are using full strengh remember that it will be rich in sugar. This is what will really make your batch heat up. This is the reason to freeze your reduced wine..to slow down the heat buildup.

I have never soaped white wine, but red wine turned brown. I added Lavender FO for my Lavender Wine soap...lol. I did this CP, no gel in the frig. This soap was made last summer, it lathers to beat the band, (remember the sugar content?} You will love it.

Teresa

:shock: What's wrong with drinking it? Whilst I will soap beer, soft drinks etc, wine is mine :lol: (all mine -hic - mad cackle)

LomondSoap said:
:shock: What's wrong with drinking it? Whilst I will soap beer, soft drinks etc, wine is mine :lol: (all mine -hic - mad cackle)

Hold up! Soaping soda?? Do tell! I can't even begin to say how fast I'd make me some Dr. Pepper soap! LOL

I do have cola FO too, I could do Coke.. or vanilla coke mmmmm

lil outlaws, I've made soap with a famous drink over here called Irn Bru, the tag line is "Made in Scotland from girders", doubt many will have seen it but here its as popular as coke.
Same as with beer, leave to go flat and use as your lye water, the extra sugar makes for real nice soap. Here's Irn Bru....

I've never soaped beer because I've heard horror stories LOL but I might try that.. if I can bring myself to "waste" a Dr. Pepper! hahaha

Thanks for the tip, sounds like experimentation time!
:lol:

And the possibilities keep growing!!! Dr. Pepper huh - what a cool idea - then there's Mountain Dew - Root Beer - ah yes the possibilities.....

Wine soap

Does it smell like lavender? Or did you get the odd... grape smell as per my post above?[/quote]

I just pulled a bar...nope, it smells like a deeper lavender..

Latest posts

Back