Will this affect the final soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kisha

Reaction score
I made my second batch of shampoo bars today (Lindy's shampoo bar) with a little tweak since I ran out of castor oil mid pour. (I reformulated and ran through soapcalc.) I added sodium lactate, rather, I forgot to, and added after blending to a light trace. I finished stick blending a bit longer and poured, but I'm not sure if that's gonna make a big difference. Also, the first Lindy batch I made I just added the bentonite directly to the oils and stick blended before adding the lye mixture. This time I added the bentonite to water and it clumped, so I pushed it through a fine mesh strainer into the oil, then blended and added the lye mixture. Hopefully it blended completely but does anyone think it'll be a problem?

Thanks, Susie. There's a layer of brown liquid on the top right now (in a Pringles can). I haven't had that happen yet but this is only the 6th or so batch I've ever done. It's just the first time I forgot to add the ingredients at the right time.

If there is a layer of anything on top, I would probably put on some gloves to unmold it. And if in the least bit of doubt on safety, rebatch. I learned the hard way that liquid separated from soap could be lye water. If you have a pH meter, use it on the liquid. If it is over 10, I would throw the liquid into a crock pot and grate the rest for a rebatch. Don't throw that batch away. Just rebatch. We have all had to rebatch.

Hmmm, thanks again Susie. I don't have any way of testing the pH so I guess I'll just zap test it after I unmold, cut and cure. If I do rebatch, does it have to be immediately or can I wait a couple of weeks? (Sorry, lots of questions.)

it is better to rebatch immediately, esp if it still has all the left over liquid. but essentially, rebatch can be done at anytime.

Thanks Seven. I'm thinking the scale may have been off. My hubby says he just changed the batteries in the scale. I'll rebatch it just in case b

Latest posts

Back