Will Rebatching Help with Clumpy Titanium Dioxide?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elle2014

Reaction score
Hello all,

For the first time, I'm considering rebatching some soap, but I want to be sure it will solve the problem before I do so.

I made a batch of cold process coffee soap and was pretty happy - it actually smells like coffee and cocoa butter. Unfortunately, I not only didn't use enough titanium dioxide to make it white, but I didn't mix in the oil well enough, so the little white specks are very visible against the chocolate-colored soap. The worst part is that when I cut the soap, each slice went through little chunks of white, so you can totally see white knife streaks through the soap.

If I rebatch this, will that even help with the white clumps? Should I try to add an additional colorant to cover up the white? I suppose I could do individual molds, which would eliminate the cutting streaks even if the titanium is still clumpy.

I'll post a picture as soon as I'm home from work. Thanks in advance for any advice!

This is an issue that will be tough to fix, IMO. Honestly, I'd just save the soap for my own use and make a new batch using better technique and planning.

This is an issue that will be tough to fix, IMO. Honestly, I'd just save the soap for my own use and make a new batch using better technique and planning.

What I didn't account for was the super-strong coffee and how very dark it made the soap, so the prepared amount of titanium dioxide wasn't enough to make it even a little lighter. I mixed up more, but not well enough, obviously.

I think I may try to rebatch it anyway, just because I've never tried it before, and because (even though I'll just keep it for personal or family use) I think I'd like it better without the white streaks, which I can eliminate by using single-cavity molds.

At least...I think so.

2014-10-04 11.59.29.jpg

Best of luck on the rebatch -- I sure hope it helps with the streaks and lumps!

Back