Why olive oil B traces faster than extra virgin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyma

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
To those who have used many types of olive oil in soapmaking, it's obvious that grade B or pomace olive oil speeds up the process.
I was wondering which is the factor of that?
It's the different composition in oleic acid?
Or is it the acidity caused from the formation of free fatty acids? The lower the acidity the more virgin the olive oil.

Oddly enough, not everyone has that problem with pomace olive oil. It speeds up for me, but so many other soapers I talk to have no problems like that.

Genny is right. I've been using Pomace for several months now, & I find no difference in it. I have time to do whatever attempts/designs I want with my soap. I was able to get 4.5 gallons of it for $49 locally. NO SHIPPING charges. LOL wow...I feel like I won the lottery just typing that...shipping charges are killers for my soaping ingredients...a necessary evil :/

No, i'm not talking about a problem. Pomace or Olive oil Grade B decrease stirring time comparing to EVOO. It's an advantage for them!
But i'm trying to find the reason behind this.
The differences between them is the acidity (lower free elaic acid for EVOO, higher for Grade B), the unsaponifiables (lower for EVOO, higher for Grade B) and i don't know if they have differences in fatty acids composition.

No, i'm not talking about a problem. Pomace or Olive oil Grade B decrease stirring time comparing to EVOO. It's an advantage for them!
But i'm trying to find the reason behind this.
The differences between them is the acidity (lower free elaic acid for EVOO, higher for Grade B), the unsaponifiables (lower for EVOO, higher for Grade B) and i don't know if they have differences in fatty acids composition.

I didn't notice a difference between the EVOO & POO...LOLLLL (one day I'll grow up). Both had the same workability for me. Maybe others have different stories to share. Wish I were more help.

I use pomace and have not noticed a faster trace. I do try to soap cool for swirls and such though.

Hi lyma,
I have the same experience. I don't know the reason of that it happens and I am interesting to know, too. Να υποθέσω οτι φτιάχνεις με δικά σου ελαιόλαδα.

Hi lyma,
I have the same experience. I don't know the reason of that it happens and I am interesting to know, too. Να υποθέσω οτι φτιάχνεις με δικά σου ελαιόλαδα.

Yes i use my own olive oil, which is extra virgin and it surely delays trace time. I've tried to use olive oils grade B and there was an obvious difference in speed. I suppose it's because of their different acidity (free fatty acids) or the different number of unsaponifiables. But i would like to know the specific reason as well...

Do you notice any difference in soap quality by using the pomace instead of the extra virgin olive oil? I was thinking of purchasing pomace instead or should I just stay with the extra virgin?

I've used both, EVOO from the store or whichever kind is on sale, and pomace purchased online. I haven't noticed a big difference.

I do wonder if those of you that can get it locally, fresh - like living in Greece or anywhere that olives are grown and pressed - if there is a big difference in quality. And, I mean much better quality in both types. Here in the States our store brands, while marked EVOO, are not always EVOO. So, those closer to the source, may have pure product, and there may be differences. Just a thought, I have no idea or scientific knowledge of the issue. I do know that soap calc has different listings for Olive Oil, or, Pomace Olive Oil, so there must be some differences in saponification factors, values. Only thing I know for sure, is that the EVOO on sale at the store does not taste like a good EVOO should on some nice crusty bread, and it is not the proper color.

Last edited:
Outside of taste and the good stuff for cooking with there is no real difference in what the oil itself does for skin and hair. I use the el cheapo store bought off the grocery store shelf for a treatment for my hair keeps a medication I have to apply to my scalp from frying my hair. Looks lovely after I wash it out.

Latest posts

Back