Why does 80 lard, 20 coconut soap feel so good on my skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American cuisine, Mad Men era.

9042f525ecddd196ef9da3c9422bfd3d.jpg

Veggies? That's tuna hiding in the middle. :)

And there's nothing like olives in lime Jell-O with your canned tuna.

I was looking around the dish. I have always be funny with my tuna and a dish like that would have been not-so-mysteriously-thrown out.

If it's pudding, then I agree. Jello = gelataneous flavored sugar water that was more popular than those quarter waters that now are more than a quarter.

Wow this thread certainly changed its focus. I refrained from responding earlier as I am a blaspheming vegetarian who loves vegetarian bacon. I was raised never to eat pig or other meat of the cloven hoof. Until I married a man who ate a pound of bacon at one sitting every weekend morning. I learned to love bacon AND shrimp and lobster, which I had never eaten as a child, although my mom did once buy some other-animal-bacon-substitute. Years later however, when I became a vegetarian my husband (current, not the first) did not believe I could maintain vegetarianism because he knew how much I loved bacon & shrimp. Yet here I am, 17 years later and still do not eat meat, fowl or fish with only one exception; I will occasionally have a Caesar salad with real Caesar dressing.

I do love my vegetarian bacon, though. Just as much as I used to love the real stuff. And my son tells me it tastes amazingly real to him and smells real to him, too. I don't think it smells the same, so I think maybe his sniffer is off. But whenever I visit he always says yes when I make myself a vegetarian bacon, tomato & arugula sandwich.

As far as jello, no I don't eat it. It has marrow & collagen in it. I was never fond of jello, not even when my mom made that weird carrots in jello salad thing at holidays. Yuck it had raisins in it too, which I really don't like. Granted bone marrow makes for a very nice thickener for gravy and soups, which I have made many of in my long life, but I choose not to consume it anymore.

Is vegetarian bacon made with soy? I won't give up my turkey bacon for nothing, mind you. Regular bacon brings out my animal fat neuroses and you'd see me picking the fat off the bacon.

Is vegetarian bacon made with soy? I won't give up my turkey bacon for nothing, mind you. Regular bacon brings out my animal fat neuroses and you'd see me picking the fat off the bacon.

The brand I like best uses soy. It can be made without soy and I have done so myself. There are many recipes out there. But the one by Morningstar is my current favorite and no hassle of doing the homemade this way.

I know some people don't or can't eat soy, but I have always liked soy and will often just cook soy beans to eat on their own, I like them so much.

Veggie bacon recipes if interested:

6 recipes

a soy-free recipe

Incidentally, you can make or buy soy-free tempeh and it makes some pretty good veggie bacon.

Right there with you on the animal fat neuroses and nasty bacon goo. I'll eat bacon when it's hidden on sandwiches but otherwise it's almost as bad as chicken wings. There isn't really a point to even sniffing a chicken wing considering the mandatory dissection for so little of what qualifies as actual meat. Unless I'm very, very drunk or... Then it's all delicious! lol

I am interested in making the vegetarian bacon! We have a vegetarian potluck at the sweat lodge once a month and I am always trying to find something bearish to bring because I am a voracious carnivore. I will consume the veggies in equal amounts though too. Unfortunately I have recently gained 20 pounds from eating pizza at work and falling off my diet, so it is high time to get back on the wagon and stay there. I knew better, I can feel the effect (fatigue is awful), and I am packing around the effect. So thank you for posting that!

I love piggies too. Soapy piggies, fried piggies, barbecued piggies.....yum yum...

Latest posts

Back