Why does 80 lard, 20 coconut soap feel so good on my skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think animal fat is bad, the bad fat has been chemically changed or modified which makes it difficult for our bodies to breakdown. Take butter, maybe not the healthiest thing on the planet but a HECK of a lot better than margarine, which is now known to cause cardiovascular disease. In my mind the closer to nature it is when you eat it the healthier it is. Oh and drink your milk whole, not reduced fat as you should also do with all dairy, sour cream, cream cheese, the fat makes it a whole food, which is by far healthier than one that has been altered. Reduced fat milk robs YOU of calcium, so there, off my soap box now.. :silent:

Now I want to go make a lard soap..

I don't think animal fat is bad, the bad fat has been chemically changed or modified which makes it difficult for our bodies to breakdown. Take butter, maybe not the healthiest thing on the planet but a HECK of a lot better than margarine, which is now known to cause cardiovascular disease. In my mind the closer to nature it is when you eat it the healthier it is. Oh and drink your milk whole, not reduced fat as you should also do with all dairy, sour cream, cream cheese, the fat makes it a whole food, which is by far healthier than one that has been altered. Reduced fat milk robs YOU of calcium, so there, off my soap box now.. :silent:

Now I want to go make a lard soap..

Good points and I agree but I drink 2% milk since whole milk will do some damage to my tummy.

I wish there was a way to change the title of this to "Why bacon is so delicious"

My nephew makes awesome chocolate chip & candied bacon cookies. As much as I love bacon, I admit I had a twinge of doubt when he gave me some to try, but WOW- they were really good!

Re: Jello. It's one of those things that people either love or hate. Thankfully, I was not around during the '50's, and so was able to avoid the height of the Great Gelatin Terror (or craze, depending on how you look at it) that seemed to have swept across America like wildfire at that time. lol I'm sure that if I ever had to eat something like this I would hate jello with a passion, but thankfully, I never had the displeasure of eating such an atrocity, and so I grew up loving jello. Grape and/or cherry-flavored adorned only with whipped cream are my favorites.

IrishLass :)

My house rule is that there is always bacon in the fridge or freezer; but it's always nitrate free bacon from our all organic grocery store. You never know when you're too tired to make a big dinner but a BLT will do the trick. I've also been known to have a BLT for breakfast since I'm not that crazy about eggs too often,

There was a summer when I was in high school that all we had in the deep freeze was about 4 ft deep of bacon. My mom got a deal on it and bought it all, but then we ended up not having as much other food in the house so literally we had bacon every meal for a whole summer

Let me specify before someone miss understands and thanks my mom is crazy lol.... bacon cheese burgers, bacon sandwiches, bacon wrapped on stuff, loaded potatoes, etc. all summer long.

There was a summer when I was in high school that all we had in the deep freeze was about 4 ft deep of bacon. My mom got a deal on it and bought it all, but then we ended up not having as much other food in the house so literally we had bacon every meal for a whole summer

Let me specify before someone miss understands and thanks my mom is crazy lol.... bacon cheese burgers, bacon sandwiches, bacon wrapped on stuff, loaded potatoes, etc. all summer long.

Mmmmm.....bacon! Thank heaven for the crazy mom! (I wish my mom was "that" kind of crazy.)

The salt levels would have sent us all to the hospital if my mom had tried that. We barely used salt when I was growing up. Even when I cook, I use little table salt since many of my ingredients brings salt to the table in some way (like my demand for celery in all my soups save dessert soups). I also get it some the junk food when I feel like munching on crap.

I have celery in the fridge and freezer for much the same reason-snacking and flavor. But, I have no problems with salt, as I drink lots and lots and flush all my sodium out. I am probably the only person in existence that the doctor tells to eat more salt. My blood pressure is really, really low most days.

Soak your bacon in water overnight. It will reduce the amount of salt and make it cook bigger for some odd reason. I saw that on a YouTube video a while ago. I don't know why it doesn't shrink. I understand the reduced salt, but not the "bigger bacon" aspect of it.

Soak your bacon in water overnight. It will reduce the amount of salt and make it cook bigger for some odd reason. I saw that on a YouTube video a while ago. I don't know why it doesn't shrink. I understand the reduced salt, but not the "bigger bacon" aspect of it.

My mother used to do that when we all ate bacon. She still said it was too much salt for us to consume.

So I have been reading this thread, and besides getting hungry ... no other oils in recipe? no castor oil at all? Do 80/20 bubble well?

I tried a very similar recipe as my third batch (15% co instead of 20%) and it is decent, but I much prefer the addition of some castor and another soft oil (hemp seed or avocado) : the bar seems to lather more readily and has less drag on the skin.

My best recipe thus far is almost the same as Susie's :

5 % avocado or hemp seed oil
5 % castor
10 % coconut
80 % lard

Latest posts

Back