Why do oxides smell?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapOfTheNorth

Reaction score
i like oxides and I like strong colours sometimes. I find that oxides have a smell. Has anyone else found this?

I’d love to find a way of getting bright neons (I use oxides) that don’t have this off putting smell.

These are synthetic products right? ( they don’t get rancid or grow bacteria ??) I get mine from Saffire Blue ...

Thanks

They can be natural or lab-made. Check your vendor's data sheets or website to be sure.

Anything with iron oxide may smell like iron or metallic or even like blood, depending on how sensitive your nose. That strong smell should dissipate over time, depending on how much you used and any other factors, such as fragrance oils used.

If the odor bothers your nose this much, however, you could try some micas. There are some very bright neon colors available in micas.

They can be natural or lab-made. Check your vendor's data sheets or website to be sure.

Anything with iron oxide may smell like iron or metallic or even like blood, depending on how sensitive your nose. That strong smell should dissipate over time, depending on how much you used and any other factors, such as fragrance oils used.

If the odor bothers your nose this much, however, you could try some micas. There are some very bright neon colors available in micas.

I double checked - Saffire Blue seems to report that some oxides are made from sulfer (organic) and that might explain the smell. Others are made from inorganic things. Nowhere do I find a shelf life recommendation for preservative.

I ordered some mica samplers from amazon and will try those.

I used 3/4 per pound of oil to get the depth of color I wanted. Do you think that’s a lot? I experiment and use just enough to get the color to look true ( like it does on its own before mixing )

Did you mean to say 3/4 ounce ppo? If so, that's a lot. If you meant 3/4 teaspoon ppo, I'd say that's closer to typical.

I normally use more like a few drops of oxide powder mixed with glycerin, but I'm not going for bold, bright colors.

You won't get actual neon colors out of oxides, by the way. Micas can be neon colors or not -- they're a better bet. There are also some synthetic neon pigments too.

Did you mean to say 3/4 ounce ppo? If so, that's a lot. If you meant 3/4 teaspoon ppo, I'd say that's closer to typical.

I normally use more like a few drops of oxide powder mixed with glycerin, but I'm not going for bold, bright colors.

You won't get actual neon colors out of oxides, by the way.

yes, 3/4 tsp ppo (not ounces lol).. I have a lot of different oxide colours and I do have some neons but yes, they always come out losing their neon quality. In lotions they maintain their neon-ness.

After unboxing my latest batch it does lose it's smell over time - even after days. I just don't want that smell to be present in a finished product. When I use small amounts to make swirls and such it's not an issue.

I use and have used oxides for years but have never noticed a funky smell. Hmm....interesting. I have a few soaps where I use 3-4 different oxides in it. I use about a tsp ppo in my soaps.

Here's a picture of a soap I made with a Glitzy Green Neon mica from Steph's Micas & More, so you can see how neon micas can work in CP soap:

full

I have not ever got anything close to neon from an oxide.

I can smell a blood smell when I use oxides. I try to use them pretty sparingly and I’ve had lots of success with Nurture micas. Steph’s micas are next on my list to try, and I think I’ll get in on this next group buy coming up.

I use and have used oxides for years but have never noticed a funky smell. Hmm....interesting. I have a few soaps where I use 3-4 different oxides in it. I use about a tsp ppo in my soaps.

I have about a dozen different oxides. I keep them in sterile pill vial containers ( bought those for storage) and keep them all in a plastic non air tight bin. I handle w/ gloves and sterile equipment before each run...

and they all smell exactly the same to varying degrees.

To be clear, the smell isn't clearly rancid to me. It may just be a characteristic odor that my nose can detect. Take shea butter for example. Even the brands that are non-smelling have a smell. It's weird but not bad. This is what I'm trying to explain - but it sounds like something uncommon. It may also be that I had some contamination from the warehouse so they arrived to me this way and because I didn't know any better I didn't question it. I am now, because I don't want to mix this smell with fragrances (and while not a bad smell, it's not a pleasant smell).

What’s the April buy? How does it work?

Steph does group buys for micas, fragrance oils and some other limited soaping supplies during the first full week of each month January through October.

Her online shop is open for orders during the buying window (the rest of the month, you can look at the shop for reference, etc, but not make purchases). Once the ordering window is closed, she starts the packaging and shipping process. She does this from home, or at least used to and I think she still does, with one helper.

You have to first join her Facebook group (link) and once approved, you can buy from the online shop (link in my previous post) when the buying window is open. She also sends confirmation emails when your item is shipped and is very quick to respond to any questions/inquiries, either on her FB group or via email.

Take a look at her FB group and you will see there are many many many satisfied customers. She also posts videos and finished soaps sometimes on her FB group. Plus when she was no longer able to purchase a couple of colors she used to provide at an affordable price, she posted the formula for mixing that color yourself for those of us who really wanted to continue to use them.

I just bought a bunch of oxides to further my soap colouration journey, pleased to hear that many others get good use out of them, I'll be aware of the oxide odour though! Good to hear it quickly dissipates, thanks for the information!

Latest posts

Back